I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split grip/handle question...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:04PM

I am in the midst of planning my 2nd rod. SC III 7' for bass.

I want to build a split rear handle w/ a rubberized cork butt piece without any hole.
I plan on turning the handles on a mandrel.

How do I go about reaming the rear part of the split handle to fit the blank while using a rubberized cork end piece with no hole...???

thanks,pb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split grip/handle question...
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:22PM

Why no hole? How will you turn it on a mandrel if your mandrel doesn't go all the way through?

I drill all my cork, including rubberized butt. Glue up on mandrel. Turn. Mount on blank. Make a rubberized cork plug. It takes less than 5 minutes to make a plug for the end of the butt. The matrix of rubberized cork really hides the glue line well.

Anglers Workshop typically has the rubberized cork discs, but their supplier goofed up and sent their last batch with holes. I don't think they have any discs right now.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:35PM

You are probably overthinking it. Just glue everything up except that end piece, reaming as usual (remember to leave enough space). Then glue the rubber piece to the end. Viola.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 03:37PM

Matt.......I just thought I would like it better w/o any glue lines etc.

Mike.......the end piece will still have to be shaped / turned to the contour of the cork.

tks, pb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.67.230.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 06:01PM

Glue your rings together and rubber ring. Shape. Mount on the blank. File a rubber ring and mix the dust with some fast drying clear. Stick into the hole. When dry sand and coat the end with clear and stand up on tip. Don't load the clear on heavy or it will run

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.155.236.127.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:50PM

Just shape it by hand, it only takes a few minutes to do one ring on the end.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 07:29AM

Pete

Any of the above ways will work.

I, personally, find it easiest to shape my entire grip and then make a plug to fit in the hole. It is very hard to notice. And it is very quick.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 10:10AM

I haven't yet decided on how I am going to tackle this, but everyone has given me good advise.
Thanks to you all.....I appreciate your insight and time.
pb

Posted by: den dailey (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 07:40AM

does anyone know where butt end split cork grips can be purchased?

Posted by: den dailey (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:11PM

does anyone know where to purchase split grips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster