I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1 wt fly reel
Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:17PM

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions for a small fly reel to put on 1 wt rod. The rod in question is a dan craft 1 wt, and I don't want to spend a lot on the reel, I dont need a disk drag or anything fancy. All the I really want in the reel is something small and that holds line, the cheaper the better but I dont want junk. Thanks for the help.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Marrone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1 wt fly reel
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:21PM

look to the typical internet used market place for a redington 2/3 CT, a machined aluminum click and pawl reel in either chrome or black. i have the 3/4 and 5/6. nice light reels no longer manufactured.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:29PM

Check into the Forbes Magnesium on Overstock.com , I don't know if there are any left , but for $75 to your door it's a nice little line holder . I was given this advice from Don Davis , and he told me he would buy it from me if it wasn't perfect for Dans 1wt ..................... I still have it . Nice reel for the $$ , 2.6 oz I believe..........
Have Fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:51PM

Mike,

Take a look at California tackle. Dennis has a reel for a 2/3/4 wgt that might work for you and the price is right. Other than that try Hook & Hackle they have been running some sales.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.cable.earthlink.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:12PM

I got one of the White River Classic UL's at basspro.com for $90, and with line it weighs 3oz.
Pretty little reel....still waiting for the season to open to give it a spin.

There are plenty of the Forbes Magnesiums at Overstock.
RB

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:46PM

The JA Forbes reel is 2.2 oz. It under balances my 8.5" 2wt with cortland 333WF. The Bass Pro UL is also 2.2 oz. Both are click&pawl drag

The thrill is not in the kill

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:04PM

I have not tried the Forbes equivalent, but have fished with the CT and the White River...

The CT 2/3 is a better reel for a 8'0" 3 weight or so...a little heavy to correctly balance a DC 1 weight. Well made reel with a sturdy and easy to adjust drag.

The White River is currently hanging on my 7'0" 1 weight, and balances perfectly. Like Mr. Box said, right at 3oz with line and backing. It's a nice little reel, but the click drag is not adjustable and fairly weak by default. Definitely not a resounding Hardy click...

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 13, 2005 03:21PM

I know from experience that the ONE is balanced by the White River UL, the Forbes magnesium, and the two smaller Forbes Avons. Also the Hardy Flyweight. But it is difficult to find a discounted Avon or Hardy. Even with the White River or a magnesium you do well to use rings or cap and rings for the reel seat. With longer rods (8.5-9 feet) you can use a heavier reel and/or reel seat.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 13, 2005 04:38PM

Hardy Flyweight

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:17PM

The white river is an excellent reel for the money and gets my vote. And thank God it doesn't clatter like a hardy. I can hear my friend stripping line off his Hardy 100 yards away!

Tony

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:02AM

Yeah, the Hardy sound is a love it or hate it thing. I spent a week fishing with a friend of mine several years ago in Colorado. We had great fishing, beautiful scenery, great weather, plenty of high-altitude beer buzz in the evenings, and an all-around good time. At the end of the week, as we were heading home, my friend confessed that the only thing he disliked about the trip was the sound of my Featherweight all week. He basically begged me to use a different reel next time we fished together, LOL.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 15, 2005 03:24PM

A good reason to fish a Hardy! I have been fishing a SA Systems II (Marquis) made by Hardy for probably 25 years and never have had problems sharing a river. Seems they all leave you a bit of space.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster