I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A different way to approach the 3 wind standalone trim band
Posted by: David Sims (---.arach.net.au)
Date: April 12, 2005 01:37PM

I found a method on this site for creating trim bands. it went something like this:

tape a pullthru loop down to the blank before beginning.. wind 3 or more turns around this then pull through. Then adjust position of trim band and hold tension with the two chord ends, cut both ends flush when placed close to where they are required.

I tried this method and it worked great, but it seemed time consuming to me. I came up with another way of doing it which requires no pullthrough loop and can be acomplished in 1/4 the time.

Instead of wrapping the trim band, I tie it. I take the handle of a needle file, and place it next to the blank. i hold the end of my thread against the blank and wrap three loose wraps around the blank and the file handle. I then pass the other end of the thread through the loops, grab hold of each end, push the file handle out, and voila. I have a three wind trim band which is moveable, tensionable etc as the original method, without any of the taping, pulling through etc.

I found that with metallic threads, pulling them through with a loop would often damage the thread and make tensioning difficult. With the tieing method this problem was eliminated and I just did 8 trim bands in about 30 minutes with my method. Not bad for a complete newbie.

Anyways, food for thought eh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A different way to approach the 3 wind standalone trim band
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 12, 2005 01:49PM

I usually make plain Jane wraps without trim, but when I do the trim bands I usually do it like you just desribed. I use one of the thin stirring sticks that come with Flex Coat finish. This creates the little gap you need to feed the end back through to the other side. If I use a pull loop, I don't tape it, I just hold it ont he blank while I wrap over it and it takes no more time than the stirring stick method. I would love to perfect Tom's method of using my finger tip but I can't get the thread to roll off my finger tip without geting all crossed on itself. Maybe I need to grind my finger down to a nice point and coat it in permagloss so it's smooth, LOL.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:06PM

All of these methods, including taping the pull-through loop down first, can be considered variations of what some call the nail-knot method. They all get to the same result: a stand-alone wrap with tag ends on both sides, which can be tightened, moved, and snugged up to other wraps. Only the tool (which can simply be a finger) is different. All are easy and effective, and all are quick when mastered. The quickest of those dispense with tape, etc., but require the most dexterity. (I have more tape than dexterity.)

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:12PM

Steve-Maybe they wouldn't be able to finger print you, then!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:26PM

Good idea Putter except most of the crimes I'd be inclined to commit don't rely heavily on the left index finger. But I could have used a sharpened pointed left index finger when I was planting onions on Saturday. Maybe you should make up some marbelized, tapered nail knot tools.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:45PM

A peice of tubing from a pen filler works great too, make sure you clean the ink out good. Pass the tag end through the tube and PRESTO!!! a perfect nail knot!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:23PM

Bill Stevens demo'd about the easiest variation of this method I have ever seen in Charlotte. He used a short piece of dowel with a hole drilled through one end. As in the posts above, he made his wraps (one more wrap than the number of threads you want in the band)around the blank (and dowel) and inserted the end through the hole in the dowel and just pulled the dowel out bringing the thread with it. He then pulled the tag ends tight, slid the band into place against the main wrap and put a dab of CP on the "knot and when on to the next one. When he was ready to finish, he would clip the tag ends off with a cuticle clipper and he ended up with perfect trim band as small as 2 threads. Once you do a couple it is VERY quick!

If someone as uncoordinated as me can now do them quick and easy, anyone can. Thanks, Bill

Mike

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:20PM

Buy, this sure sounds like the typical nail-knot to me.

Lou

Date: April 12, 2005 06:29PM

Lou,

It preobably is but I could never get the hang of it. Bill had me doing this in about 3 minutes - shaky hands and all

Mike

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:46PM

Mike saw the same demo, made a couple dowels today, anyplace in mi. sells those same clippers? John

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:51PM

John,

I bought cuticle nippers at a local Sally Hansen Beautiy Supply Store. They come in a range of prices, and if I remember correctly, Bill said not to buy any costing less that $20.00 dollars.

They are fairly expensive but work better that anyother method I've tried. Also, if they get dull, they can be returned for re-sharpening at not cost except for your postage.

Stan

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 08:48PM

Thanks Stan i will look for a local Sally,s

Date: April 12, 2005 08:58PM

Let me know, John. I'm looking too. I've been using nail clippers. They work but not as good as what Bill was using!!

Mike

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:00AM

What about a one hole coffee straw? Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:56PM

Like many of the posters above, I'm shy on nimbleness, and long on thread, and tape.
I opt for the following for a 3+ trim band....a nail-knot variation. No nail. No worries.
Start the thread any way you like, as though you were doing a routine guide wrap. Once the thread has "grabbed" the blank, usually between 3 and 5 wraps, Insert your tie-off loop, and count the wraps you want ! 3,4,5,6, whatever....cut thread, pull thru loop, and just backwrap the starting wraps....they will stop where you put the tie-off loop in, leaving you wiith an adjustable band to be positioned where you like. Works for me..... your mileage may vary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster