I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using 2 finishes
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:56PM

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using 2 different finishes, I am thinking about doing the first coat on my guide wraps with perma gloss then doing the second coat with LS Supreme. Any and all experiences and oppinions greatly appreciated.
cheers
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using 2 finishes
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 02:21PM

The last 15 or more rods I have made have been finished with a coat of Perma Gloss followed by a coat of LS Supreme. It works great for me.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 02:50PM

What advantage does the permagloss provide?

Peter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:13PM

For me, it makes me appreciate the epoxy even more. LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:24PM

Stan,

What is the advantage of doing this? Do you use CP also? If not, could you?

Mike

Date: April 12, 2005 05:30PM

The perma gloss sets up fast and secures the wraps. Once that is done there is no danger of loosening wraps or knocking gudes out of line. It also provides a good base for the epoxy. With regular LS I had to use two applications for good coverage. The perma gloss will take place of one application even though it is thinner.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: April 12, 2005 05:31PM

I seldom use cp as I prefer the translucent look.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:53PM

Would the Permagloss affect the CP if you did use it??

Mike

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:22PM

Hello
Perma Gloss works well as the first coat just put it on thin and let it dry very well before coating with epoxy. If you live in the southwest or where it is very dry make sure humidity is present for curing. Usually an hour or two is adequate but to be sure I recommend over night to be sure. Color preserver can be used before Perma Gloss and is recommended if the thread color does not want to be greatly altered by Perma Gloss wetting it.
If a single coat coverage is the goal consider using U40 LS High Build as it is an excellent single coverage epoxy coating. It levels very well and can be applied thin build or high build.
Sincerely Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Date: April 12, 2005 07:58PM

Joe
I agree that the high build is the way to go for a single coverage but only wanted to point out that one advantage of an initial coat of Perma Gloss allows you to a better chance of succeeding with one coat of regular finishes.

Mike
Perma Gloss doesn't affect CP that has dried thoroughly.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 08:48PM

I do the same as stan on flyrods , after a coat or two of PG , then one coat of LS or FC lite does the trick.

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:28PM

Does PG darken thread to the same extent as epoxy?

Peter

Date: April 12, 2005 11:53PM

yes!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:48AM

I also use Perma Gloss as first coat, then add one coat of Gudebrod Regular or Flex Coat Lite epoxy. As to me, the main reason using PG for primary coating is its hardness, much stronger than any epoxy finish.

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:00AM

I tried the Perma Gloss / Expoxy combination on a couple of rods and really liked the ability to get a nice level finish. But, I was having trouble with a few big bubbles appearing in the epoxy finish a couple of hours after applying. So I had to fix and put another coat on anyway. Now I just use one coat of low build and a second coat of high build.

I pretty sure that I was doing something wrong with the Perma Gloss application but I don't have the same problems with my current routine. Anyone else experience big bubble problems?

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:26AM

Keith,

To be true, I wait several days before applying epoxy over PG... When the coat of PG stops smelling , I apply epoxy finish, no earlier. Maybe your problem was caused Perma Gloss didn't cure completely

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster