I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on decorative wraps
Posted by: Adam S. Hoelper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:02PM

I've been practicing doing doulbe cross wraps, on old blanks, wadding staff and any other scrap I can find, and have the setting up portion of the wrap down pretty good. However I have had some problems with threads. I tried using metalic gold thread in size A for the first few wraps to have a gold diamond and I just can seem to get the thread to lay right. It seems like the thread is segmented and wants to lay in the segments and not where I place it. I stopped using it as the center threads and had some wraps come out nice, until I use the metalic thread as the last threads. Then it seems like I can not get the last thread tight against the rest of them. I have been using thread U-40 color lock 2 as kind of a glue and this has help me get the last thread flush to the others.

I was just wondering if the metalic thread is tuff to work with, and I need more practice. Or if I just suck and cant follow directions.

As a reference I'm using the Advance Custom Rod Building (clemens). I would like to start building truely custom rods, and start making as many components as possible. Can someone suggest some more books worth buying?

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2005 12:09PM by Adam S. Hoelper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on decorative wraps
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:12PM

I'm new at this, but did my first two wraps entirely in metallic (they were kids rods, plus I didn't want to use CP), so I know it can be done. One of the tricks, this was on the advice of Tom K, was not to lay single threads crossed with other single threads. It's ok to lay them one at a time (that's what I do), but lay a number all in one direction before starting another band (I tend to lay bands of at least four). You can then pack them together with your thumbnail and they stay in place quite well when you do this. Work on getting the right amount of tension also, "not too hot, not too cold, but just right." For what it's worth, I'm using Sulky metallics, no experience with cross wraps with other brands of metallic thread.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (---.de)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:36PM

If you want to really get into making custom parts for your rods, then take a subscription to Rodmaker Magazine. No where else are you going to find that kind of constant cutting edge information on all the various methods and techniques for rod building along with ideas for new stuff to make and try. No book or message board is going to provide that sort of thing the way the magazine does. When a new technique or idea comes along it usually turns up in the magazine first and has the most in depth info on it.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:45PM

Metallics look nice but are a bit of a pain in the you know what to work with. I use them but you need to do a lot of thread packing on them to get them to stay where you want. You need to especially attentive to the cross over points, pack, pack and pack.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 03:54PM

Another thing that I've discovered (I had the same problem), if your using tension on the spool not the thread, put your spool on the tensioner so the thread comes off the bottom of the spool, not the top. (Tip from this forum) It comes off a lot less springy.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:27AM

The rod blank can make a big difference as well.........if its a gloss blank the threads will slide around easier

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster