I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pimples on finish
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:54AM

I used Crystal Coat Finish on my rod and got some pimples on several of my guide wraps. I used CP first. Can someone tell me why they appeared? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pimples on finish
Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:59AM

i am kind of new to building but i have noticed that every time i use cp. i have some sort of imperfections in the finish.i think its from air trapped in the threads under the cp. that gets released from the chemicals or heat from the curing process of the finnish .it seams like they come out later in the curing stage.and pop leaving a dimple that stays.then if i try to flame it that late to let it smooth out,i can see more coming out. and end up with more bubbles.i get better results without cp.i have tryed all kinds of tricks to try and figure this out.curing the cp longer,thinning it out using 2 or 3 coats. packing the finish in the threads using two coats of finish,the best thing i have figured out about it is not to use it.i took apart a broken rod with it and noticed the cp keeps the finish from bonding the thread and guides to the blank also..i striped a rod with out it and found the finish bonded through the thread to and under the guid foot and on the blank.looks like a better way to go for me.

Date: April 12, 2005 11:05AM

Hi Kenny! I am new to rod building. This is the 3rd rod I've completed. It looks great from a few feet away, but if you look closely, you can see some pimples. I'm not going to use CP on my next rod and see if that makes a difference. Thanks

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:04PM

your welcome,you may want to wait to get some more sugestions on this by some of the more experienced people here.i am new to it also.i have been fooling around with it for a little while.i never got serious until about 5 months ago.i can't remember how many rods i have built over the last few months,i know i have done 5 in the last 2 weeks.there are people who do a few a day. i know am addicted to it. i have the same problem as you did with the dimples /bubbles and i can't quite figure them out.this is the only thing i can point to though.i have mainly used flexcoat finish but have tried 2 different brands of cp. with the same results.my finish is almost good without the cp.i cant say perfect because i don't know what that looks like yet.one thing about not using cp. is you get used to finding colors that work together because they change/darken up without cp. like you say from 2 feet you can't see them. but they light up in the sunlight.and bite me.i guess all this will work out over time,as i get beter at it.i have to say i have a good selection of fishing rods now.even the less expensive blanks i have used.fish just as good if not better than any high end factory rod i have ever owned. i have owned a few and tied a few high end blanks for my friends.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:51PM

what kind of Cp did you use? how did you apply it? how long did you let it dry before proceeding with the epoxy finish?

i just used gudebrod cp for the first time last week. i noticed there was a lot of little bubbles, kind of sudsy looking actually. i used a brush to apply and after a few minutes, used the brush to pull up a lot of the bubbles and extra CP. i think i only let it dry half a day, maybe only 4 hours max before continuing with flex coat high build, the first time i used that formula. i applied the flex coat with a portion of a plastic card, cut from those fake credit cards they send in the mail. the finish came out great!. flat, nearly bubble free. i had some problems with thread nubs and maybe 3-4 bubbles overall, but that was it. perhaps i simply got lucky. or have failing eyesight! ;-) i had to use CP since the thread i used does not come in a NCP flavor (i think).

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 04:01PM

I've had zero problems with CP on thread wraps in the last 15 or so years; ever since I quit using it...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 05:51PM

I'm not as experienced as a lot of guys here but I just don't understand the CP thing. I have used CP (all the wraps, including guides & metallics)on an awful lot of rods and have done a grand total of 2 without. I don't consider myself a "highly skilled" builder but have NEVER had a dimple, pimple, bubble or whatever you guys are talking about (A lot of wavy finishes until I got the hang of that!). I realize that I may be awfully lucky.

I don't do anything unusual but I don't understand how CP could introduce bubbles if properly used. Actually, I THINK that it would seal any air bubbles in so that they couldn't get to the epoxy. I think that their may be a propensity by many builders to find it easier to blame the messenger, so to speak!! than teir method.

The CP debate will go on forever because their is no proof as to which side is right! I will say that I use CP/metallic threads on the majority of my rods all the way up to Musky and downrigger/Dipsey rods and have yet to have a guide wrap fail (other than getting stepped on or crushed) I have found that the guide itself will fail before the wrap does On the other hand, I do a LARGE number of repairs where guides have pulled out of wraps or the wrap failed on factory rods which, as far as I know, none of the factories use CP (economic reasons, not strength reasons).

I will conced that wraps without CP MAY be stronger, but steel is also stronger than graphite but I don't want a steel blank. IMO, the concern should be what is strong enough!!

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I know guys that are known for their Tuna sticks that use a LOT of CP on their rods. I have asked before if anyone has ever had a CP treated guide wrap with a locking wrap fail (other than abuse) and no one has ever replied with an instance.

Mike

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 13, 2005 04:32PM

I suspect contamination of the Crystal Coat by either mixer, container or brush. Clean everything with acetone before ever finishing again.

Date: April 14, 2005 07:53AM

Thanks, Ed! One of these days I'll show you the rod and you can decide what happened for yourself after an inspetioni.

Date: April 14, 2005 07:53AM

Thanks, Ed! One of these days I'll show you the rod and you can decide what happened for yourself after an inspection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster