I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seats for bamboo
Posted by: andy hayward (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 10:17PM

Does anyone know how to get the reel seat and cork handle off of a bamboo blank to start the refinishing process?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seats for bamboo
Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:00AM

Andy,
You're going to have to cut off the cork with a blade, proceed carfully. The reel seat should come off with heat. Use a paint stipping gun and again proceed carefully.
First you should consider if you should remove it or not, if it is a rod that is in fair shape and has trademarks visable you could lose any value by changing anything from original. You should get a good book on refinishing bamboo rods. Also there a lot of help in the sponsers listed at the left especially Golden Witch. They are very helpful with advice and will even match the original thread if you send them a sample.
Old bamboo rods are a pleasure to rebuild but always be careful that you are not ruining a classic. Good luck and enjoy your rod.

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 01:26AM

Wait.. First off who made rod?? Some bamboo rods the handle is made out of wood and then the bamboo is is only stuck about 3 inches into handle.. Also if reelseat is still good then dont take it off if it's plastic, the plastic seats are hard to salvage.. Let me know who maker is and then I can tell you what to do..

Thanks Dave

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.147.217.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 02:40AM

Ditto on the above also, many of the makers did not use what we call blank thru construction. Many have a wood dowel about 10" long at the butt end, they glue the reel seat on the one end, and drill a 3/8" hole about 2" deep in the other end, and glue in the bamboo butt section, then add the cork to the dowel. I don't know what they were saving at the time, or maybe it was the latest craze in manufacturing, but there are lots of them out there. If the rod is a "run of the mill" rod, just razor blade the cork and you will see that the reel seat is either glued or pinned to the wood dowel, if there are no cracks in the dowel where the rod is glued in, then just reverse the process. Glue on the new reel seat, glue on the cork rings, set it in you lathe, cut the cork down to what shape you want and go from there. Butt section is good as new and no one is the wiser. If the dowel is cracked and the butt section is loose, just buy a hardwood dowel and do the same thing to it. I have found that most of the dowels used were mohogany, a hard wood by species, but a soft wood to work with. I like to replace with oak or birch.

Any questions feel free to email me.

Tight lines,
Art

mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster