I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 05:59PM

Hi All,

I read quite a bit about the problems people have applying epoxy. Seams strange to me but I have very little problem with it. However CP is a completely different matter. I have no end of problems when I use it. Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles. I have wasted more wrapping time with CP than I care to think about. Does anybody have any suggestion on the proper way to apply it.

Thanks

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: April 11, 2005 06:28PM

What brand of CP are you using. I have used both U-40 and Gudebrod without too much trouble. The U-40, in my hands at least, seems a bit more bubbly but they seem to disperse before they dry. My only problems with the gudebrod have been getting used to how fast it dries! I do think that the gudebrod keeps the color better than the U-40.

Peter

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 06:36PM

Try applying it with your fingers. This seems to cut down on the amount of bubbles.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:46PM

with flex coat CP, I just load it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a brush to pull the excess off in the direction of the thread. never had bubbles.

The only other CP I've been using is glasscoat. It sets up pretty fast so I get best results by loading a brush, touching it down and rotating the rod by hand while pulling the brush slightly to the side, basically "barberpoling" it up the wrap, using the brush as a squeegee to push the extra forward. The motion of the brush is pretty slow so if any bubbles come up, the trailing edge of the brush gets rid of them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 09:14PM

I propose a different solution to the application of CP. I think you need to be very careful when you "apply" it on the highest shelf, far in the back of everything else, in the darkest corner of your work area. Hopefully your medication will erase the memory of where you put the infernal stuff!

Gon Fishn

But Bill...
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:18AM

Seriously, I wouldn't use CP except I need it for cross wraps, to prevent underlying threads from showing through. Either that, or do an all-metallic cross wrap and wear sunglasses even in the rod room.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:40AM

Jim, I use CP on most everything! I apply it in the same manner as Mick above and as Mick, have never had a problem with bubbles.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:04PM

I'm not as experienced as a lot of guys here but I just don't understand the CP thing. I have used CP (all the wraps, including guides & metallics)on an awful lot of rods and have done a grand total of 2 without. I don't consider myself a "highly skilled" builder but have NEVER had a dimple, pimple, bubble or whatever you guys are talking about (A lot of wavy finishes until I got the hang of that!). I realize that I may be awfully lucky.

I don't do anything unusual but I don't understand how CP could introduce bubbles if properly used. Actually, I THINK that it would seal any air bubbles in so that they couldn't get to the epoxy. I think that their may be a propensity by many builders to find it easier to blame the messenger, so to speak!! than teir method.

The CP debate will go on forever because their is no proof as to which side is right! I will say that I use CP/metallic threads on the majority of my rods all the way up to Musky and downrigger/Dipsey rods and have yet to have a guide wrap fail (other than getting stepped on or crushed) I have found that the guide itself will fail before the wrap does On the other hand, I do a LARGE number of repairs where guides have pulled out of wraps or the wrap failed on factory rods which, as far as I know, none of the factories use CP (economic reasons, not strength reasons).

I will conced that wraps without CP MAY be stronger, but steel is also stronger than graphite but I don't want a steel blank. IMO, the concern should be what is strong enough!!

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I know guys that are known for their Tuna sticks that use a LOT of CP on their rods. I have asked before if anyone has ever had a CP treated guide wrap with a locking wrap fail (other than abuse) and no one has ever replied with an instance.

Mike

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:39PM

I like Bill Stevens idea. I am not a big fan of cp either,but have used without any problems. i drilled some dowel this afternoon to try Bill,s nail knot method that was demoed in charlotte short memory though might need a refresher. John

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:54AM

Jim, I can't imagine so many bubbles appearing during or after application if you apply CP straight from the bottle without premixing.
Are you mixing the solution or shaking the bottle before application? I don't recommend either method. I apply CP straight from a room temperature bottle (68 degrees).
I typically apply no more than one coat of Flex Coat Color Preserver to every wrap on every rod I build. I give each wrap a good soaking, but I wick away any loose CP, and allow it to dry for about an hour at least, before I apply finish.
Patrick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster