I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Goose eggs ??and epoxy build up.
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.87.80.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 05:14PM

Can anyone tell me what my problem is and has anyone have this happen to them ? After I finish my wraps and put the finish on them I end up with a goose egg at the bottom of the guide leg. It don't matter if i'm useing single foot or double foot it end up with the same results.I put the finish on,it's nice and smooth on all wraps,the drying motor in motion,Leave the room to do something else while rod is turning. Come back later and I have goose eggs,or epoxy build up.
My work table is level,my power wrapper is level,I have checked the level of the rod with a laser level to the back edge of the work table.
I,m using Flexcoat lite formula, I don't think that I'm putting to much on ' cause I put on a light coat and then a second.I use a credit card cut in narrow strips to apply the finish.My room that I work in is about 75 at all times.
So can anyone help me please?????
Thanks to all replies<<<DON>>>
<<< AT HOBBYRODS>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goose eggs ??and epoxy build up.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2005 06:09PM

If the finish forms footballs or goose eggs, you're putting too much on. The lighter finishes can't be put on very heavily at all, the thicker ones can go a bit heavier. Finish will only support so much of itself and you've exceeded that amount. Cut back, maybe try 3 applications instead of 2 to get the depth you want.

Also, rotating the rod by mechanical means also tends to create those footballs by virtue of the centrifical force throwing the finish towards the middle of the wrap. Turning 180 degrees by hand as needed is more tedious, but almost never results in footballs or goose eggs, unless of course, you just apply too much at one time.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 08:30PM

You didn't mention this: Are you removing excess epoxy after you get the wraps covered? Before you start continuous mechanical turning, you should let the rod sit a bit while epoxy collects at the bottom, remove that with the tool (your credit card strip), turn the rod 180 degrees, let epoxy collect again, remove excess , turn 180, etc. Do that for a while, then start the dryer motor.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 08:44PM

Thanks for the great info.I have never tried turning by hand and removing the excess before,
I'm going to redue thoes that are goose eggs and give this method a try.
Again thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster