I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast blank....what color wraps?
Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.plsntv01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:03PM

I just bought a 9' 7weight Forecast blank from Neal at Neal's Fishing, and I wanted to get some opinions on thread color. I'm going to wrap this blank as a spinning rod, based on some ideas that I've been kicking around. The reel will be a Tica Libra 3000, which is silver for the most part, but with some gold accents. I really don't care if the reel matches the color of the rod, but I thought that I'd throw that out there for discussion's sake.

Anyway, my two-year-old daughter thinks that I should use pink wraps, but she wants everything pink. I'm thinking possibly along the lines of a grey, or possibly even a yellow to really stand out. Do you guys and gals have any other ideas of something that would look pretty sharp?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast blank....what color wraps?
Posted by: dave schaub (---.ev1.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:51PM

A light grey with some yellow banks looks really good.
I still use practice sticks to try my ideas. Its a really good way to
try something without commiting on a rod. I use dowels I get
at Home Depot. They have lots of sizes but 7/16 works the best
for me.
I saw one that had aqua with black trim that was not bad.
Dave

Posted by: Al McClure (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 11:20PM

If that's a forecast blue blank, try blue with silver trim.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 11:50PM

blue dun without cp and silver trim bands. awesome!

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 04:53AM

what color is the blank? check out the all photo's on this site it always helps me get an idea.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.plsntv01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:03AM

sorry guys, i forgot to mention that it is the forecast blue blank. thanks for the replies so far.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 04:47PM

I've been in the habit of saving pictures of guide wraps on a disc and then taking a picture of the blank and just cropping the guide wrap and placing it on the colored blank picture and seeing it on the computer; saves me a lot of time wrapping different colors (although I still do a lot of that, too). Just one more way of doing this, guys!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ted Eisele (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 01:16AM

I did a Forecast 5 wt. with cobalt blue wraps and gold trim.

I really like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster