I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Robison-Anton Rayon Thread
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 01:33PM

I might be wrong, have been before, probably will be again, but I believe I've read here that rayon thread should not be used for building rods. Merrick Tackle's catalog lists Robison-Anton rayon thread for rod building. My interest is because rayon comes in colors that just don't seem to be available in nylon. Has anyone used Robison-Anton rayon thread for wrapping guides, weaving, etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Robison-Anton Rayon Thread
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:07PM

I am experimenting with rayon thread, not R&A but Madeira and Sulky, and I am only in the early stages. You are right about the color palatte, simply too many options unavailable elsewhere, and the thread has a great sheen to it. I recently did a butt wrap with mercerized cotton thread, singed off the fuzz, and coated it with two light coats of spar varnish. It was a lumpy mess. I used 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, the wiped down with denatured alcohol (was told this was bad BTW). One coat of spar varnish and the wrap was saved.....don't know about longevity though.

It is rainy, windy, and miserable here in sunny CA so I am staying home and building rods.

Derek

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:45PM

I am fortunate enough to have a Robison-Anton distributor less than three miles from my house. I have established a business relationship with them and have been able to try their entire line of threads (not every color but every product line) used for embroidery. They ALL work. This distributor has just picked up distribution of YLI "Reflections" thread as well... For anyone who is counting shades/ colors of Robison-Anton:
There are 450 shades of "super bright polyester"
There are 450 shades of "super strenght rayon"
There are 17 colors of "J Metallic"
There are 8 color change threads (white to color in UV lighting)
There are 4 glow in the dark colors

All in diameter similar to Size A

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:02PM

My comments, I've been using the antique gold metallic for several yrs and really like it cause its the only ant gold metallic I've found in A size. Tried the J metallic and found it much weaker than FishHawk or Gudebrod or Rice, didn't try any more.

Date: April 08, 2005 06:15PM

Yes - I have to agree with Jim - the Robison-Anton (J-metallic) thread is "limper" and is also "weaker" (lower breaking strength). Since I only use the metallics for underwraps I don't have an "issue" with breaking strength.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:33PM

KEn - when using the Rayon from R/A, is it fuzzy and weak compared to teh Polyester?

Date: April 08, 2005 08:16PM

Billy -
I haven't noted a large difference other than the Rayon is nicer for finishing without color preserver - seems to become more transparent when used over metallics

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 12:26AM

Ken,

What size do you use? Is it larger or smaller than "A" thread?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 01:57AM

I use a lot of RA poly because like Ken, my local sewing shops carry it and I can go to them and match what I want. I've used RA rayon in limited areas and at the time I liked it but with what I've been finding with fading tests, I'm staying away from rayon.

Date: April 09, 2005 07:03AM

Bill -
What's your favorite color (or the one you use most)? I'll send you a couple spools to try.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 12:53PM

Ken, I've never used the rayon RA thread but have used a ton of the metallic Goverment Gold, as was pointed out it is only good for undrwraps. Maderia metallic is nice but you need cp with it which is a no no with me.For some reason Merrick doesn't carry the Gov. Gold Metallic but Mudhole does. Jesse

Date: April 09, 2005 09:57PM

Ken,

Purple, And White Pearl or just plain white. I got some Mediera for diomond wraps, but it's about 3 quarters the size of "A" and breaks real easy. I don't like it much for that reason! BTW did you get my last eMail?

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Date: April 10, 2005 09:56AM

Yes, I did. I need to check with a local source for some blanks - and I need to make a trip to Delaware for some blanks for myself (one can NEVER have too many!). While I'm in Delaware I'll poke around in a tractor trailer of blanks (older fiberglas / Fenwick sanded but unfinished blanks) that someone I know has. I'll keep you in mind while I'm fishing around. So one package size could be 6' - 7 feet long. In the meantime I'll go visit the R/A distributor on Monday afternoon...

Date: April 10, 2005 09:50PM

Ken,

What would do without you, and the other guy's on this forum??? Answer: WITHOUT!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster