I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Centers not lined up
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:22PM

I'm driving myself insane. I have a Delta Midi, with 3 different chucks (all cheap-o's): a regular PSI 3-Jaw, a PSI Mini, and a Jacobs thingy. I know the Mini (brand new today) & Jacobs turn perfect, as when I stick my Mandrels in there (brand new 2 days ago) - 3 out of the 4 turn perfectly smooth (not from Lamar).

I take my tail stock, with live center (time for a new one of those) - and slide it all the way into the jaws to ensure they are perfectly aligned. Tehy are, teh center touches teh teeny tiny opening in teh jaws when they are closed shut. I stick teh mandrels in there, turn the lath on, perfectly smooth - BUT when I put my tail stock uo to it, it's off. IT's perfectly in teh middle looking from teh front, but when I look over it I can see the center is not 100% dead center - it's off by enough to make my post this.

Is there any way I can fix this, or is this the product of a cheap lathe? I really think when I'm using my 18" Mandrels on HIGH speed, this small differnce causes severe vibration, and has ruined 2 sets of 3-jaw chucks on me, & I'm not using it NEARLY as much as I should.

Any clues, tips or watever, would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Centers not lined up
Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:41PM

Billy, at any time has the lathe been knocked over or droped, wondering whether the base (bed) has a slight bend or warp in it compared to near the headstock, just a thought. You probably already thought of it anyway.

Date: April 07, 2005 09:03PM

Fortunately not, that thing is far too heavy to drop on the floor - the foundation to my hous emight crack if it did, forget teh bed being mis-aligned, lol.

I think when I tighten teh tailstock assembly it makes teh center move a little off. I'm still trying to figure out EACTLY what teh heck is causing this.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:06PM

Unlikely you'll bend cast iron. If you can run the tailstock with live center up the closed jaws of your chuck, and they meet perfectly, then the lathe is okay.

Now if you insert a mandrel into the chuck and tighten down, and then the tailstock with live center won't match up to the machine inset in the other end of the mandrel, you may or may not have a problem. First off, your mandrel may not be as straight as you think. Another thing to remember is that you don't want to chuck the mandrel down tight in the chuck and then run your tailstock up. Put the mandrel in the chuck and only tighten the jaws to the point where they lightly touch the mandrel. Now run the tailstock up and put the live center in the machined end of the mandrel. Now go back and tighten the chuck. Now run the tailstock out until snugly seated in the mandrel. All should be well.

If you tighten the mandrel in the chuck, it can be put off by just a degree or two, which over the length of many inches makes it look like something on the lathe isn't aligned.

Date: April 07, 2005 09:08PM

Try this, chuck a piece of wood into the headstock chuck. Move the tailstock up to the wood face until the live center tip just touches the wood. Lock it down. Now rotate the headstock and tell us what pattern the live center tip leaves on the wood. A point or a circle? If a circle, how large in diameter?

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:22PM

BILLY,

Most lathes are adjustable, this is how you make turning with a tapper to them.
The base of the tail stock should be adjustable left & right , if no adjustment, you will need to shim the " ways "
what the tail stock slides on, which is the base, try to find a shop that might let you look at their lathe, wod or metal
all tail stocks need to be adjustable to compensate for wear. I could get in to it in more detail. But you need to look at your lathe carefully, then we can talk.

Dave , Pearl River Rods, PRRODS@aol.coM

PRRODS also means STREET RODS, I do both metal work and wood work

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: April 07, 2005 09:25PM

Tom, cast iron now days isn't what it use to be, more like cast steel. Too many alloys being added due to recycling of iron and steel.

Date: April 07, 2005 09:49PM

Wood lathes such as the Delta Midi do not have adjustable tailstocks or bed ways, as far as I know. Keep in mind these are $300 lathes at about retail. Work backwards through the distribution channels and you have what amounts to a $45 lathe when it comes off the manufacturer's end.

However, they are pretty good lathes, really. Alignment of headstock and tailstock is usually fairly close but there are places where this can go wrong. The headstock itself is fastened to the bed with allen screws. It may or may not be pinned for alignment - I haven't had one apart.

If Billy can do the test outlined with the block of wood and let us know what shape the live center scribes on the wood, it will be a lot easier to figure out what's actually out of whack here.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:31PM

My midi-lathe is off on the alignment of the head and tailstock by about 1mm. Doesn't seem to harm the wood work I do, but I'm not a real craftsman by any means.

I did learn the hard way that you don't tighten the chuck until after the mandrel end has been located in the tailstock live center.

Posted by: David Leonard (---.an3.atl16.da.uu.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 11:06PM

I've noticed that my Delta's tailstock has a little wobble left-right when not tightened down. So if I want to have the two centers lined up, I need to hold it to the left and then tighten it. Haven't come up with any other work around for this...
==dave==

Date: April 07, 2005 11:33PM

First - Thanks for all teh answers. THat's one benefit of the internet. THE other is it motivates you to figure out what is wrong because you want to do all you can to stop making buffoon posts, lol.

HEre is the problem, and how I corrected it:

I have 3 different sized Mandrels, 9, 14 & 18". I noticed the longer the Mandrel, the further off the tail center was. Hmmm? I actually LOOKED at teh Headstock assembly, and noticed there were 4 HEx bolts attaching it to teh bed. DUH! I loosened them all up, cuched up a Mandrel, and made sure it aligned with teh tail stock. RE-tightened the hex bolts, and hung my head in shame for posting this question.

Basically, the headstock did not point striaght down the center of the bed. Once I made this adjustment, everything was just fine. I was concentrating on teh tailstock because I was not aware teh headstock could be off...until I looked. For those who are not aware, bolts can be tightened & loosened. Just because the lathe came with everything attached, doesn't mean you can't "fix" it.

THanks again, I appreciate it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 12:03AM

Now, this is good stuff.

I just got Andy's DVD and i didn't notice any suggestion about not tightening the chuck until the tailstock is snug. I will remember this.

I have 17" mandrels from Andy and noticed that the thinner ones (1/4 and 3/16) will flex in the middle. I try to use the thicker ones to prevent any off-center results. If I do use the smaller sizes I mount the grip near the end instead of the middle if possible. I've turned several grips already and have had zero problems with my new Turncrafter Pro from PSI.

Terry

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:51AM

Terry, you might be able to push the mandrel thru the head stock before you tighten the chuck so that you only have 5 or 6 inches between the chuck and the tail center. hope your Turncrafter Pro lets you do that? The Jet does. That gets rid of alot of the flex and corresponding tool chatter. Also, I think Andy will make shorter mandrels if you ask?

Date: April 08, 2005 08:58AM

This is why I mentioned the thing about the headstock being affixed with those allen head bolts. I'm surprised that the headstock unit isn't "pinned" for alignment, but in your case I guess it's better that it's not. Glad you got it trued up.

There is a special alignment tool offered by various woodworking shops (Packard Woodworks for one) that is basically a double morse taper shaft. You loosen the headstock and tailstock and run the tailstock up with the alignment tool between the two (no chucks or live centers to thrown anything off). As you push the tailstock into the headstock the morse taper tool moves them into alignment and you lock everything down there (the headstock).

On a Delta or similar that does not have a pinned headstock and can be adjusted, this is surely an invaluable tool to have.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:29AM

William,
You said "I did learn the hard way that you don't tighten the chuck until after the mandrel end has been located in the tailstock live center."

I am not sure I understand why this is an issue? I ALwAYS put the mandrel in the chuck, tighten the jaws first, then run the live center into the counterbore last....could you elaborate on the why's of this?

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:54AM

I just watched this chapter on Andy's DVD again.

He clearly tightens the chuck first, then snugs the tail stock. I'll be interested to see where this discussion goes.

The Turncrafter Pro does allow for sliding the mandrel through the head, but the chuck I have (std 3-jaw from PSI) is solid at the face. I'm positive Andy would sell me shorter mandrels. If I get into reel seats, this will be mandatory. For now, I'll just use the larger sizes where I can. It's all turned out well so far.

Terry

Date: April 08, 2005 11:10AM

If your chuck jaws are not perfect or you have tape on the mandrel that would make it less than perfectly centered, it throws off the end of the mandrel and can cause it to bow when you run the tailstock in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster