I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Kirkman....If you don't mind...
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:55AM

I think it is time I listen to you and my other peers and look into ordering some back issues of your magazine. I will primarily be building surf rods. Some spinning, but most will be casting rods, and I would prefer to spiral wrap those. Grips will mostly be eva or other synthetics (I don't like cork on a surf rod) split grips usually, and I like Billy V's multicolored eva grips. If you can build me a basic list of back issues that will help, and maybe suggest any other subjects I may have missed in the genre, I will be in your debt.

Derek
dsrtegl2004"at"earthlinkdotnet

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Kirkman....If you don't mind...
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 12:48PM

Tom is already one step ahead of you.

Look in the library... you'll see exactly what you're looking for in the Rodmaker Magazine Index or Rodmaker Magazine Directory (excel file).

Erik

Posted by: Jeffrey Stickle (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 08:40PM

Derek,

Let us know how the spiral wrap does on the surf rods.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:29PM

Keep your eyes peeled for the next issue of Rodmaker. It has an article on a spiral wrap method that myself and at least one other surf rod builder have used for spiral wrapping a surf rod among others. It works flawlessly. So far every rod type I've tried it on has worked like a charm. I will put it up against any of the other methods at this point.

Date: April 07, 2005 11:07PM

Unfortunately.....I'm Screwed.....I don't HAVE Excel on my computer.

Sigh.

Derek

Date: April 07, 2005 11:34PM

Hmmmmmm.....Hey Erik.....You wouldn't be a certain yak fishing local that lives not too far from me would you?

Derek
Rohnert Park, CA

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:38AM

Derek,

Microsoft distributes a free "viewer" that lets people read and print excel spreadsheets. You can see the spreadsheets - just can't edit them. Have a look at Microsfts web site and check out the downloads section.

Good Luck,

JGS

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:08AM

Derek,

You don't need excel - just use the index that is in text form. It's there on the library page.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 11:10PM

Hey Derek.... Yep... That'd be me...

I recognize the name now... dsrtegl (desert eagle)... Pier Rat extrordianairre... good to see you on thes board.

Date: April 08, 2005 11:23PM

Erik

Been on the board for a little while....When you want to learn you go to the source. Doing research in search of "the perfect surf rod"

email me sometime and we'll use some of the stuff we are building. I am always up for a Mud Marlin Trip.

dsrtegl2004atearthlinkdotnet

Derek

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 09:21AM

There is a free, MS compatable, Office program at openoffice.org

The thrill is not in the kill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster