I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Klass Kote
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 08:57PM

Can Klass Kote be put over Flex Coat High build?

Thanks

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Klass Kote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2005 09:00PM

Maybe, maybe not. Klass Kote contains a solvent. If the Flex Coat is well cured and if you're lucky, you may be able to do it without any problems.

Pardon me for asking, but why would you want to do this? There may be a better way, depending on what it is that you're trying to accomplish.

Date: April 06, 2005 09:26PM

Tom,

I'm having a real problems with finish on the rod i'm working on right now. 1st problem was getting a clear mix. Tried both low & high build. Mixed with my mechan. mixer, mixed by hand and still looks cloudy after pouring it in alum, foil. Put the coats on the rod and they dried properly, looked clear but had white flakes in the epoxy. Guide wraps came out great just the butt wrap area is coming out bad. I did put to much epoxy on and got a ripple effect. Have sanded it down removing the ripples and ready for another (and hopehully final coat). I have 3 coas on guiges and light I said they look great. Have 5 coats on but wrap but have sanded most of that off removing ripples. I'm getting to the point that I'm going to through the rod out the window w/o opening it first. Just thought that maybe a coat of Klass Kote migh solve my problem. Have applied the Flex Coat to the rod with brush as an applactor, used aspatcla even used the credit card trick and can't get this wrap finished. Mybe you can come up with an answer to what I'm doing wrong?

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:29PM

I think I can pinpoint your problem - the tip off is the cloudy mix and white flakes in your finish. Your resin has been cool, too cool, for too long. It's slightly crystalized which can happen in cold climates or when the resin is stored in a very cool place for some time.

If you'll take that bottle of resin and set it in a pan of very, very hot water for about 20 minutes, or remove the cap and hit it with about a ten second burst in the microwave (you may want to do this twice) you'll find that it has returned to like new condition and your next mix will be clear as a bell and the white flakes will be no more.

I'd stick with the Flex Coat but do keep in mind that even a really nice new application won't fix anything that's on there now - anything that will be underneath the new coat.

Date: April 06, 2005 10:48PM

OK - Thanks for the info - Tomorrow I will put the resin bottle in hot water for 20 minutes, mix a new batch and give it ago. Will let you knowm how I mke out. Thanks afain Tom

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 11:36PM

Let the stuff cool off to room temp before you mix it up, though, Hank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 07:09AM

In cool conditions one trick is before you mix, take the bottles and gently turn them upside down. You can see if it needs to be heated if there is a solid mix staying on the bottom of the container. I was getting a bad mix. I turned them over and saw this. The solids some times fall to the bottom.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: April 07, 2005 10:11AM

Klass Kote is not good for masking problems in the finish with the exception that you could get a colored paint (ordinarily you use clear) and literally paint the wrap any color you want. I have thought to do this with black on a couple of occassions but decided to re-do the wrap instead. K-K is also not very good for leveling uneven spots. It will go on nicely, but as the solvent evaporates it will follow the uneven surface. K-K acts applies like a varnish, and it is a varnish I would try over the epoxy, if anything.

Date: April 07, 2005 11:00AM

Thanks Guys - really appreciate the help. The only time I used Klass Kote the plastic container I was mixing it in melted from the heat of the Klass Kote so I haven't tried it again. Been waiting for the weather to warm enough so I can open the windows while use it. Very strong stuff to the nose.

Putter I take it you are telling me to let the heated bottle of Flex Coat to cool to room tempature before using it, is that correct?

Bill, I'll give that a try and see if I can see any solids in the bottle.

Don I wasn't trying to mask a problem but was thinking of using Klass Koat only because it is so much thinner and would cover the larger butt wrap area smoother.

If Gudebrod speed coat would hold up like 2 part epoxy that is what I would be using on all my wrap finishes. Stuff goes on like water and leave covered area smooth as glass.

Oh well I will give the suggestions I received here a try and see if I can get this rod done. If you see a mushroom cloud coming from the Northeast you'll know it did not work.

Again thanks guys for the help and I will let you know how I make out.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 11:41AM

Yes, Hank. If you heat up the finish that much and then mix it up right away, it'll set up on you much faster than normal. After removing it from the hot water or microwave (I use the microwave myself; love to see the wifey squirming) just let it set for 1/2 hour or so before mixing your next batch up.

Posted by: jim dion (---.dsl.sacoriver.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 01:41PM

isnt this a new bottle or has it been on the shelf all winter?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster