I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rain Shadow Blanks
Posted by: Tyler Bell (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 05, 2005 10:31PM

I am looking to build a new fly rod and was wondering if anybody has ever tried the Rain Shadow fly rod blanks? If so are they a good rod? If anyone has any info. on the blanks could you please give me some information on them. also what color are they?
Thank you
Tyler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rain Shadow Blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:28PM

Rx8+ - satin black
RX7+- chestnut gloss brown
RX7- olive green or matt clear
RX6 dark gloss blue
Spey blanks- dark gloss blue
All the ones I've tried or built have been fine rods, the 10 ft RX7 blanks have been very popular with steelhead fisherman. Just pick the action you perfer. You'll be pleased both with their performance, value and service to the customer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:35PM

Hi Tyler! As a Rainshadow distributor, I guess it figures that I'd put in a good word for them--I will...they're incredible blanks and an excellent value. But as a fellow rodbuilder, I'll tell you they're some of the best I've built on. I've said a number of times on this board that the new RX8+ blanks are simply superlative--they are one of if not the finest performance blanks on the market under any label at any price point. I feel that strongly about them. If they're a little rich for you, the RX7+ are also outstanding all-round fishing sticks, as are the even more affordable RX7's. We have a number of the RX7's in stock here in Calgary (noticed your a fellow Canuck), but like all Rainshadow dealers we're stuck anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new RX7+ and RX8+ blanks--hopefully later this month.

The RX7 is available in a beautiful dark green and a satin-like "Matte Clear".

The RX7+ is/will be a stunning rich "Chestnut Brown" in a high-gloss finish.

The RX8+ is/will be a satin black finish.

If you're familiar with the Common Cents System, click the link at the top left for the "CCS Data Site" to view a number of test results on the RX7's. The RX7+ CC's out with a very tight (accurate) ERN and AA's in the high 60's, the RX8+ the same on the ERN front but is an "ultra-fast" blank in terms of action angle, usually coming in in the low- to mid-70's.

Drop us a line if you feel like picking our brains a bit! :)

All the best,

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:35PM

My only experience with them was with past years domestically made blanks. They were outstanding and an excellent value. My 7'6" 3wt is still my favorite trout rod. I look forward to trying one of the new ones to see how they stack up.

Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 05:24PM

Mark
You will be pleasantly surprised by the new blank line-up. I haven't tried their fly rod blanks yet but I can vouch for their surf rod blanks as being every bit as good as their Cascade series - and will rival any blank out there for cost/performance.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (65.83.254.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:09AM

I've built several fly rods in a variety of lengths and weights on the old series RX7s. They have been one on my favorites for performance & price for mod fast action rods. Based on my experience with Batson products, I'm sure that if they have a blank that matches your desired specifications, you will be pleased with its quality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster