I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best way to order exposed blank seats with the blank?
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 09:48PM

Here's an interesting question...

Let's say I have a customer who wants me to build a custom St Croix casting rod with blank model 3C70HF. They also want me to use an exposed blank seat. To save on shipping costs, obviously I'd like to order the blank and reel seat at the same time. However, since I have no way of knowing what the O.D. of a blank will be at the position where I will be installing an exposed blank reel seat (especially if I vary the rear grip length), how do I know which size to order?

I've purchased these products in the past from Bob at Custom Tackle Supply, and he was gracious enough to size it for me once i gave him the rear grip length. But what do I do when I order from other places online?

Anyone have any suggestions? It seems to me it would be a nice feature on a website to have a tool that will assist you in choosing the best exposed blank seat once you supply a blank model and rear grip length.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best way to order exposed blank seats with the blank?
Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:16PM

Tom,
Check Jann's Netcraft catalog. They publish a formula to figure the diameter of a rod about 10 inches up, all you need is the butt measurement. Dont' know how accurate it is but I bet a call to their customer support woud get you the anser.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:20PM

I think I'd stay with the way you've been doing it. A program would be a lot of major work for someone and if the info was not put in correctly you'd be burning up a lot of shipping charges to fix it. Just look at the blank selection at Mudhole. Everyone I've done business with have supplied a correct sized reel seat when asked. Also you could just get some reel seats a size smaller than you usually use and just ream them to fit the situation when your blanks get there.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 02:02AM

I have a bunch in stock, but I usually wind up using one size undersized and reaming it to fit; like Spencer says. It doesn't take but a few minutes of time and it always fits right, then. Rarely, one fits the way I like without reaming it (RARELY). Even if it were two or three sizes under, it wouldn't take long. I've had to do that because of age and senility and forgetting to reorder my stock...

That's the beauty of old age; every day is a new and interesting day because I forget everything when I go to sleep and have to start all over the next day fresh lol

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 07:32AM

Order the 15mm size,order 15mm tubing from Custom Tackle Supply - and instal ALL your ECSM seats on the same diameter tubing. Or, since they are SO CHEAP, just order one of each size and keep teh back ups as stock.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:04AM

Putter, You have explained why Monday is my favorite day of the week. One gets a fresh start.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2005 10:11AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 11:32AM

Tom,
If you will take the size of the butt of the blank published by the blank manufacturer and reduce it by the percentage of the distance up the blank that you will be mounting the reel seat that will get you in the ball park for the OD of the blank at the point that you are installing the reel seat and the ID of the reel seat. For example if it is a 10 foot blank and the reel seat will be mounted 2 feet up the blank then reduce the butt diameter by 20%. This assumes that the blank is a cone with a linear taper which it is not exactly so I would order one size smaller than the above calculation came out and you may have to ream it out some.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: April 06, 2005 12:48PM

I always have done what you've been doing. I order from Custom Tackle, and ask them to fit the ECSM to the blank I'm ordering. Bob and his staff are incredibly gracious to do such a thing.

I also try to order a few seats in that same size each time I order. For example, if the blank takes a sz. 13 ECSM seat, I have Custom Tackle send several in that same size: one with gold hood, one with gunsmoke, one with black, etc. That way, after only just a few rods, I have a collection of ECSM seats for other projects.

Posted by: capt. ray brown (155.94.62.---)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:52PM

Tom,
I get alot of calls about this.If you will tell your dealer how long you would like the rear grip, they should fit the seat up for you.
capt. ray - fishsticks4u

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster