I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork/Rubber Butt Ring Question
Posted by: George McPhail (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 06:49PM

Hi, I am gathering parts and pieces for my first rod and I have a question about cork/rubber rings. I plan on using one for my handle butt. The rings I purchased have a 1/4 inch hole through them. How should I plug this hole? I noticed the company I purchased from has plugs for sale but they are 3/8 diameter and look tapered. Should I get one of these and make the hole in the ring larger?

I think this topic has been posted before but I was unsuccessful in finding it through a search.

Thanks for any help
George

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork/Rubber Butt Ring Question
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 07:13PM

Purchase the plug too. It'll fit snug as a bug in a rug.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 07:16PM

George: Your rubberized cork ring has a hole because it is usually glued onto the rest of the cork handle, then the handle, including that ring, is reamed out to fit on the blank. The hole will thus automatically be larger. You can also putt that ring on at the end of the assembly, if you do that it will be much more secure if it is reamed so that most of it fits over the end of the blank, and (again) glued to the cork - some form of clamping is a good idea for that. So again, the hole will be larger - that 3/8" plug may or may not fit. There are other ways to fill or cover that hole, you can be creative: coins, flat buttons (both first coated with epoxy), a natural cork plug, etc. Taking care of that will be easier, in my opinion, if you arrange things so that the rubberized ring extends past the blank end just a bit, say 1/8". Welcome to the club, I remember when that very thing puzzled me.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 08:36PM

George,
Angler's Workshop has many sizes of rubberized cork plugs, if you buy the handle there, they will send along a correct sized plug for free if you give them the size of the blank's butt.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:02PM

I've tried to buy plugs from AW and not had any luck. They'd give me a plug with a grip, just not sell me a handful of plugs. Besides, they're never the right size anyway if you make anything bigger than a Crappie rod. I just make my own now. I measure up the hole in the grip, after it's mounted, with a circle template and pick the circle that's just larger than the hole. I trace that onto a rubberized cork disc. With a large X-Acto and a chisel blade I cut that plug out with 8 or 10 facets. I lay that plug on its side and with an X-Acto firmly against the side of the plug roll it to score a line around the plug 1/4" - 3/8" from the end. Then with the chisel go from the end (blank end) of the plug remove enough material so that the plug will fit inside the blank. Finally, with a sanding block I make the top 1/4" or so of the plug nice and round. Sand right up to the line I drew. Takes just a few minutes. And it always fits.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: April 05, 2005 10:34AM

I usually either order the rings without the hole and drill halfway through the ring with my drill press at the same dia. as the butt of the blank, then you just slip it on over the end of the rod before you clamp the rings, then you dont have to worry about a correctly sized plug. So you could plug the rind and then bore it out to fit over the rod blank.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: George McPhail (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 05:08PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I guess I have several options. I think I am going to like this hobby. I can't wait until I reel in that first fish on "my" rod.
George

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster