I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to use U-40 Perma Gloss
Posted by: Ivo Balinov (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: April 02, 2005 04:21PM

Hi All,

I am about to use Perma Gloss for the first time and was wondering if there is anything specific in working with it as compared to epoxy-based finishes (other than applying multiple coats). Should I apply with a brush or a hard object (i.e. a bodkin) is better? Is there any preferable speed for the turning speed of the drying motor? Does Perma Gloss get along well with color preservers?
I would greatly appreciate some advice from the experienced.

Thank you in advance
Ivo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to use U-40 Perma Gloss
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 04:32PM

Permagloss IIRC is a pre-catalyzed urethane. So it works similar to a urethane with a fast drying time.
So a small fine bristled brush or foam made for finish should work well. Use thin coats, don't try to build up to quickly.
Turning speeds for epoxy work fine. 18 RPM will work well.

It works fine with CP.

Christian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2005 04:33PM by Christian Brink.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 04:34PM

Ivo,
There is a huge amount of info in the archives, use the search engine to find it. Just put in "Perma Gloss". There are some storage things in there to think about once you open the bottle. Color preservers will be no problem.

Posted by: Ivo Balinov (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: April 02, 2005 05:11PM

Christian and Spencer, thank you for the advice.
I will check the archives as well.

Ivo

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: April 02, 2005 05:13PM

The instructions say wait 1 hour to re-coat. I suggest waiting several hours although it was suggested to me to wait 24. Re-coat too soon and the vapors from the underlying coat will get caught in the top coat and form bubbles. Also when you get most of the bottle gone beware of the thickening product. It will set before it has a chance to vaporize causing bubbles. Great stuff otherwise.

Jay

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 11:17PM

The shelf life of PermaGloss can be greatly extended by putting it in an unlined new 1/4 or 1/2 pint paint can. Put a #6 or #8 eyelet into the can about 1/4 inch from the bottom and then pour in your new bottle of PermaGloss. Seal the can and use the eyelet as a spigot by loosening it until some can be dripped into another container for use. Tighten the eyelet and the seepage will seal around the eyelet. I have PermaGloss in cans that has lasted more than two years or until it is all used up. The viscosity will stay almost as it was when first poured into the can for the a very long time.
Regards Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 11:23PM

Joe,

Where does one find such cans new?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 03:02AM

Check at a good paint store such as Sherwin Williams or Radda Paints. Granted they are not as easy to find as they used to be but they can be found.
Regards Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:43AM

If you clean the top threads off after every use then close the top do not over tighten and keep in the refridgerator in will keep a long time - No need for special containers
When you use it put into a cup and use out of the cup.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:58AM

I use Perma Gloss mainly for repairs and pour small amounts into the caps from bottled water. I then store the Perma Gloss upside down with masking tape around the bottle cap. I do the same with Birchwood-Casey Tru oil and it has eliminated the "icing ' up of the liquid.

Those small paint trim sponge brushes can be cut to different widths to fit your particular needs.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 09:09AM

That fogging or iceing will clear up when it comes to room temp again. Warm water helps

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: April 03, 2005 03:58PM

I used Bills advice for putting the PG in the 'frige...... so far , so good . The best test will be when the humidity gets higher . Now I just go and pour a small amount into a mixing cup , wipe it , and right back in the 'frige , I keep it in the door where it stands next to the mustard . Have fun .

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 09:54PM

Bill, thanks for the idea on the Permagloss.

Ray, I just opened my Tru Oil and it was frosted over; I'll use your hint with it. Thank you.

John, good thing you've got the yellow stuff in the fridge; good stuff!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.205.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 01:56AM

Just don't have a couple of beers and think it is tomato sauce LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster