I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast 4pc Speys...?
Posted by: Nate Harris (---.fidnet.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 03:18PM

Hi guys,

Anyone built on the new Forecast 4pc spey blanks from Batson?

I've never built or thrown spey before, but was thinking of putting one together for tinkering 'round with this summer. Have wanted to do so for along time now, but have always been a little apprehensive at sinking a couple hundred bucks into an outfit I may not enjoy... 'course, with these blanks price being considerably lower than most spey blanks, I'm finding it harder than ever to fight the urge! lol

Would a 7/8 or 8/9 4pc Forecast spey be a good investment for learning the basic dynamics of two handed fly casting? Or should I continue to scrimp and save and put off the spey bug until I can afford a higher priced blank?

I've built plenty of Batson single handed rods and have always been overwhelmingly pleased with the price to quality ratio... but have no experience at all with double fisters.

As always, your help is much appreciated guys,

Nate H.

P.S. Additionally, which would you consider this series of rods to be best suited towards; traditional roll casts or overhead rocketing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast 4pc Speys...?
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.70.197.---)
Date: April 01, 2005 03:50PM

Hi Nate,

I just got the 13' and 11'6" models last week. I put a grip on the 13' and it feels pretty good. I would call it towards the faster action in true spey blanks. Definitely not whippy like some. Should do well with a mid spey 8 wt line or another ~60' head 8 wt line. The 11'6" feels about the same, though it is tough to tell as well without a grip on it. They don't feel great for overhead stuff, but should do well with a more traditional spey cast.

I'd say go ahead and build one. They are the best buy I've seen in low price spey blanks. The fit and finish is awesome. I love the new dark blue from forecast. They were very straight too. I can't wait to build them and fish them.

Thanks,
rick

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 03:55PM

Nate , I just glued up the grip on one of the 12'6" 7/8 kits from H&H , I inverted the reel seat and used the rear grip that came with the kit , I also have a reel with the line on it and it felt the best with the reel down lower on the butt of the rod . I can't wait to try it out . JOHN

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Al McClure (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 04:28PM

Finishing up on the 11ft 6inch 6/7. It's a nice blank with a med/fast action. You should like it. A chap on the spey page board finished one a couple of weeks ago and he thinks it's a cannon. Darned thing only weighs 6.5 ounces.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 06:48PM

Hmmm......Wonder if one of those suckers could be wrapped as a spinning or casting rod for North Coast Stripers.

Yes....I said STRIPERS.....Haven't had that much coffe yet......maybe a 13' or 14'.

Derek

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 07:23PM

We have gotten alot of great response to our new 4 pc spey blanks. We have the following models avaiable. F1166/7*4DB = 11'6" 6/7 wt 4pc, F1267/8*4DB = 12'6" 7/8 wt 4pc, F1308/9*4DB = 13' 8/9 wt 4pc, F1409/10*4DB = 14' 9/10 wt 4pc. These all come in the Forecast Dark ( Glossey ) Blue finish. These are a combination of RX6 & RX7 graphite, we consider these a Med/Fast action. We feel this is the Best Value in Spey blanks on the market today. For more information on these blanks check out our website at www.batsonenterprises.com. These are available from any one of our Authorized distributors. The " Vision Continues " - Quality products at reasonable prices backed up with exceptional customer service...
If you ever have any questions in regards to our extensive product line please feel free to contact us. Thanks to everyone for your support of our programs.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast product lines..
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com

Date: April 01, 2005 07:52PM

Bill, when are you going to make a 15' 16'. I sure would like to see them.

Posted by: Davis Barnes (149.43.219.---)
Date: April 03, 2005 09:36AM

Could you share your guide spacing? I have that blank (the 11'6"), and am not sure about the spacing, keep playing with it, and hope you might be able to help.
Thanks,
Davis

Date: April 03, 2005 01:03PM

Davis, you have mail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster