I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to find Clear/ Translucent Rod Blanks
Posted by: Kenny Lee (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:19PM

Hey guys, hows everyone...do you know where I can find fiberglass rod blanks that are clear /translucent (or semi whitish clear) blanks? They'd probably would have to be solid fiberglass blanks in order to be translucent...thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to find Clear/ Translucent Rod Blanks
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 08:14PM

Now of days you'd be hard pressed to find a new blank. However, if you scour your local thrift stores, flea markets, second hand stores, you may be able to scrounge one up that you could strip and rebuild. It's almost Yard / Garage sale time too.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2005 08:15PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 10:21PM

Hi Kenny,
You didn't mention any action, length or strength of the rod blanks you might be looking for?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2005 10:23PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Posted by: Kenny Lee (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 10:37AM

Hi guys...I am looking for some blanks like around 5ft to 6ft in lenght...medium action...nothing complex...I am wanting to make one or two rods for my Featherweight Champion rod handles...I have a couple of those butt ferrules...I really like the clear looking glass blanks like the vintage ones...I saw some in a japanese website and matched with the right wrapping they really look good...probably will make some for my wife and kid too...I wanna use it mostly for topwater and crankbait fishing...using vintage nylon line and braided fishing line...are all solid fiberglass blanks clear after sanding/stripping down? whats a good safe way to strip a blank of this sort?

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 10:03AM

Kenny,
I may just have what you are looking for but you would have to do some work on them and know how to coat natural blanks as these do need to be stripped and refinished.
The rods are hollow one section 6 footers with an extension rated at 10 to 20 lbs. but I would call them at 8 to 17 lbs. myself. Would these be casting rods you want to build or spinners? The reason I ask is I find that these blanks load funny as casters and like to over run the spool, could be me or the low tech bait casters I fish but this is what I have found.
When I strip blanks I don't use any solvents or chemicals as I have found anything that will break down the coatings will effect the blanks. I have gotten pretty quick at stipping blanks by using a knife at a 90 degree angle to the blank and just scrapping the coatings off. If you do this be very careful as to not slide the knife in cutting manner because it will nick the blank. I had some help stripping some blanks once and they wasted a bunch of them for me. :( You may want to use some rubber gloves as well because it gets a little itchy sometimes sanding. A light sanding with a fine grit after the scrape and a tack cloth clean up and you're ready for coating of the blank. I use a Gudebrod two part regular build for a clear coat on these blanks as I like the curing time and the little bit of heat from the coating seams to help it adhere to the blank better then some of the others I have used in the past.
If you would be interested in something a little different I have some other blanks and few tricks up my sleeve but I feel it may be best to contact me outside this forum as I am not a sponsor and wouldn't like to butt heads with anyone here.
It's pretty easy to find me on the net if you are interested.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2005 10:17AM by Wylie Wiggins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster