I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with butt wrap layout
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: March 30, 2005 04:43PM

I've been wrapping rods for about three years now and still can't get a good butt wrap done. I have the Dale Clemens books and the Flex-coat books and the Rodmaker articles, so after having done a couple simple diamond wraps I figured I'd try to do a Fish Wrap. I'm getting so frustrated it's ridiculous.

My first problem is after I lay out my spacing with my ruler and butt-wrap alignment tool, I put two wraps of double sided tape or masking tape down (blue). I can't get my threads to stay where I need them. It seems no matter what I do, they keep coming off the tape and I can't get anything done.

From there, I'm not having much luck. I don't understand the Clemens books even though I spent hours reading them. The Rodmaker issue explains it by "Doing a diamond for the eye, a chevron for the fins, etc." but I'm not established well enough to figure all that out yet.

Any advice to help me get started? Thanks.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with butt wrap layout
Posted by: Dave Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:02PM

Try going around the tape a couple of times with the thread before sending it on its way down the rod.

Also, the pics in the following may assist:

[www.visualwrap.com]

[www.visualwrap.com]

Regards
Dave

Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:06PM

In my opinion layout is top priority and it sounds like you have that down.I do not try to use tape as my sole holding power.Start the wrap as if you were starting a guide wrap.By this I mean start by wrapping yuor thread over itself.This will help alot instead of depending on the tape.When you get to the other end of your wrap What I do is go around the blank a couple of times before starting back.When you are finished with a sequence put a small piece of tape to hold your thread and cut it off.I use 1/4" pinstriping tape which is available at your local auto parts store.Hopefully this has been of some help.Hang in there.I would start on a simple diamond wrap first.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:33PM

Don't use the blue painter's tape. Use the good sticky beige masking tape. It holds much better. Make a few wraps of thread around the tape and press the thread into the tape with your fingers. It will hold. Every once in a while, when the tape starts getting full of thread, make a new wrap of tape on top of the original layer, sticky side to the blank first, then twist it over with the sticky side out, and this will help hold the thread to the layer below, giving you a fresh layer of tape to stick new thread to.
If you need to leave it for a little while, wrap some tape around the thread ends with the sticky side to the blank and they will hold. I would not leave it very long, though.

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:52PM

Go to home depot and but a roll of 2 inch wide double sided duct tape. This stuff is real sticky and will hold your threads fine.Just wrap something on the blank, under the tape so you can get it off easily

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:26PM

Thanks all, seems like some good info. I have double sided tape, but not double duct tape. Get some of that, some beige (regular color??) masking tape to go over the top of that and keep things in place, (guess I can use the blue painters tape to keep the double masking tape from gluing itself to the blank), and sit down till I figure the darn wrap out. Pictures should help.

I have a friend in the middle east right now and he wants me to wrap him two trolling rods, and wants something special done on the butts for a wrap, but I've got to figure that part out first. The rest should be fine.

Phil

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:49PM

Phil,
I use 1/4 inch tape to hold my pattern thread down. I cut a piece of thread long enough for one pass, tape it down, and start my spiral wrap and tape that end down. On the second pass I don't pull the thread very tight, just tight enough for the two threads to lie next to eachother. You don't want to pull the threads so tight that they will come off of the taped end and look like a backlash.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.12.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 06:02AM

Phil , Daves picture assist on the VW site is a very good walk through of the fish wrap process . The first one will be a trial and error with the tail , so be patient , a couple of tries and you will get it . I use the "regular" masking tape as Larry describes , but it builds up quickly but works fine . I think I'll give the 2 sided tape Mike speaks of a try . Have Fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:51AM

There are several grades of double-sided tape from scotch as well. Make sure that you get the "permanent" type if you are going to use this. There are others that are less sticky and have also given me trouble.

Also, do add new layers of tape as you fill it up. It's much easier than fighting to find a spot to stick the tag end to.

I'm now excited to find double stick duct tape.

Terry

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: April 01, 2005 03:37PM

I just use plain on double sided carpet tape, works prettty good. Just need to add another layer when it gets too full of thread to stick any longer.

That and I always make two wraps before cutting off or heading off for another wrap of thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster