I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multipiece, multipurpose?
Posted by: Eric Lee (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: March 29, 2005 02:54PM

I have an idea for a project and I'd like to get some feedback.

I'd like to build a 3 piece spiral baitcasting rod, 8 ft. to 8 1/2 ft., for casting 3/8 - 5/8 oz. wobbling plugs from shore for steelhead. The type of blank I have in mind is a light weight, hot shot taper blank. Portability is an issue here, so that's why I'd like it to be a 3 piece. In addition, I'd also like to buy a duplicate middle section of the blank. I'd set it up as a butt section for a 5' 6'' to 5'8'' ultralight spinning rod, to be used with the same tip section. In this configuration, I'd drop the butt section of the 3 piece rod.

Cost saving isn't a major factor for this idea. Since I'm planning to build the two rods I've mentioned in any case, I was just curious to know if I could eliminate a tip section and still build two good rods.

Is this project feasible? Has anyone tried it? Are there are sponsors who would provide such a 3 piece blank with 2 identical middle sections? Are there warranty issues to consider?

I'm unsure if Dan Craft makes casting blanks, or whether any of his fly blanks would work for my purpose. I'll also consider approaching CTS Rod Blanks and Graphite USA, but I'd welcome your input first.

Thanks,
Eric Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multipiece, multipurpose?
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 03:30PM

IMO, the biggest flaw in your proposal is the assumption that the tip section would somehow lighten up for use as an UL spinning rod. If it cast 5/8 oz plug well, it would also want a 5/8 oz. spoon. In other words your project would work if both the casting rod and spinning rod are throwing the same weight lure. Dan Craft might sell you the extra section. But for the cost, I would build two rods. The best scenario for a convertible is fly to spin, where only the grip must be re-configured, without the need for the extra section.

Date: March 29, 2005 03:59PM

Don, from my limited experience with hot shot blanks, they appear to have a very fast taper. The butt section on my father's 2 piece 7'9'' GL4 is about .550, but the tip is only a size 3.5. I think Loomis described it as Mag-Light. The tip section is very light, although in this case, I'm talking about only the top half, not the top two-thirds of the rod.

The only 3 piece hot shot rod I know about offhand is the GLX 7'6'' (HS 9000-3), which I believe is similar. If anybody's familiar with this rod, do the top two sections feel comparable to a 5' ultralight?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 04:22PM

We might want Tom K. to weigh in on this one, but if a 3 piece blank throws a heavy weight, is it able to do so due to the diameter and taper of the butt section? If a heavy lure is needed to bend the tip section, I would think the same weight is needed even if you drop the butt. The shorter rod may be more parabolic, but that does not mean that the tip lightens up.

Date: March 29, 2005 04:41PM

I forgot to mention that I intend to use the shorter rod for casting 1/8 oz. jigs using 4-6 lb. monofilament. For the baitcasting outfit, I would use 10 lb. mono.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 29, 2005 04:45PM

You could sure build two rods that way, one would be good but the other might have some problems I think. You'd be ahead of the game to get the Hot Shot blank you want and make it a three piece. Lots of info available on how to make ferrules. For the spinner, I think you'll end up not with an ultra light, but rather a part of a Hot Shot. As long as you are considering this a project, why not just get some inexpensive blanks and try it?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:04PM

The GLX HSR 9000 can only be had as a built rod, it is stiffer in the tip than the GL3 blanks, looks like it's stiffer than the GL4 you mentioned as the tip is a 4.5 I believe. I would not rate it anywhere near an ultralight in the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster