I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
April Fool's Post-Chime in please!
Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:34PM

I need help with a new rod. I will be using it mostly for targeting "midging" bluefins or for "tailing" finger mullet. I am looking for a 15 piece, 1 wt. noodle-rod in the 12 foot range. I plan on using a series of 10 big-game roller guides in a spiral wrap that goes completely around the rod twice. I'll be using an AFTCO bent-unibutt with built-in gimbal. I plan to coat the rod itself with several pounds of LS High Build for extra strength and to "soften" the action. I will be throwing size 32 crease flies on Teeny 350 line. Any help will be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: April Fool's Post-Chime in please!
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:45PM

David,
Are you sure your not one of my customers??? hahaha
Noel

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:47PM

I think you are on the right track David and I can tell you're a pro by your use of lots of technical jargon. It definitely makes a lot of sense to target bluefin and finger mullet with the same rod because, you know, they both live in salt water. Make sure the guides are titanium alloy to prevent corrosion. That's all I'd add to your recipe for a do-it-all saltwater rod.

Posted by: gary marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:51PM

The only thing I would add would be to wrap it with Peersalls Gossimer thread and add feather inlays ever two inchs.

Date: March 28, 2005 02:57PM

Should I leave out the 75 thread weave I had planned for the tip section?

Hey, ya'll are supposed to come up with your own "special rod!"

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:10PM

You gonna use EE thread on that tip weave?

Jay

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:40PM

Okay, David, I'll tell you about my early April project. Just scored a mint Zebco snoopy rod at a yard sale. Those suckers let me walk away with it for only $75, but I had to take this drum labeled "hazmat" off their hands to get that special price. Gonna strip the guides and handle off it, then extend it out to 7' with woven graphite tubing (it's 4' long now). A Tennessee handle with spiral wrapped gold cermets will give it a lot of class. That and the inlay near the inscription made out of Giant Panda eyelashes ( I nearly got killed trying to pluck those things out - gentle animals my ass!).

I will be the envy of the local bass club I'm sure when I show up for the local fishing derby in June.

Good luck with your project - we should post pictures when we're done.

Steve

Date: March 28, 2005 03:45PM

Well done, fellow Demon Deacon!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:13PM

Don't knock those zebco snoopy rods...I'm converting a spongebob squarepants zebco into a thomas the tank engine zebco. Rainshadow blue zirc casting guides (wrapped spiral) Closed wrap. thomas decals etc...probablly trick out a couple bobbers as well. My five year old customer is going to pay me an "infineon thousand dollars"....sounds like alot so i'm definately going to take my time with it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.52.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:59PM

I am matting two rods together at there tips, so you can fish it from either end

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:17PM

You guys are ignorant!! ROFLMAO!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:33PM

Bill, if you need a tip top guide with two mounting sleeves let me know!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:34PM

I've got a 4' 14wt pack rod in the works, made out of a Graffalloy Blue X-Stiff Driver shaft ...for those high mountain tuna.
It should cast well in those tight spots too.

Having a little trouble finding the spine, and a fly top with a sz 18 tube.....

RB

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:41PM

Robert, I got some 28 tubes...you could built it up with drywall tape.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.99.164.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:33PM

I am going to build a nice fly rod cheaper then I can buy one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 08:40PM by Mike Anderson.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:47PM

Need some advice: filing down the feet on the Stewart roller guides and tip-top to fit my #1 wt. Gatti is ruining the holographic effect of the guides. Would it be better to use tungsten arbors to shim out the rod?

Posted by: Terry L branch (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:34PM

Steve , you hit a gold mine with that hazmat drum of material. You can devide it into pint containers and sell it at 9.95 a pint. It will strip the old finish off those old blanks with out any sanding at all. When refinished the blanks will work great for night fishing as they will glow in the dark!

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 09:39PM

I'd go with some titanium for those arbors as we all know how easy it is to machine and that purple tint will look really cool too.
I've been thining of making the first ever spinning spiral wrapped rod!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Capt. Ron Alley (207.144.97.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:03PM

Glad were getting around to becoming a more interesting and informative board.

I am building a custom kite rod to attract record "hoo's" only. The blank will be a Calstar Studded BT610 cut in two equal pcs. The tip section to be the backbone of the kite.The kite will be constructed from the "bamboo corner" section of back issues of RodHacker Magazine and held together with Flexy Coat Super Yellowing 7-part Library Expoxy. My question is when I fine tweak the rig should I trim from the butt, the tip, or both.
NOTE: The "Ask an Expert Forum" in Sportfishing for Sports Magazine says to go with 50 feet of PowPro and 250 feet shock leader and the kite will self tune.

Send all ideas, there will be a drawing for a winner. Prize to be determined by the prize determining committee at a later date. Yeah right!!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:26PM

Yawl ain't gonna believe this, but I thought I opened something else and I stopped reading after the rod specs, and re-read the sentence three times. Then I leaned back in my chair thinking "I've never heard of a 15 pc. rod... why would anybody want one... what possible benefit.... must be a specialty blank..." after a couple of minutes of deep, intelligent thought, I continued reading. Hook line and sinker, you got me cold. LOL

Yeah, it's been one of those days.

Outstanding thread! Thanks for the chuckles and the hearty laugh at myself for being such a putz.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster