I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Putter, Mike, whoever else.........
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:24PM

When you're doing your marbeling, do you do it under power on the dryer? I did my first casting handle for a kids rod I'm building. I did it on the dryer and it didn't turn out like I would have liked. It looks OK for the first one but the colors kind of made thin lines around it, instead of what it's supposed to do. My drier motor is 18 RPM, should I use a slower motor?

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Putter, Mike, whoever else.........
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:12PM

Bill,I do mine on the drier.both whiile marbeling and drying.I do how ever reverse the direction of the motor both while applying the pigment(to avoid a directional effect)and while it is drying to prevent the colors from running in one direction.The running while drying has only been a concern when the epoxy has been heated to increase the work time.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:13PM

William,
I do mine while turning by hand, and when I get the pattern I want then I put it on the motor.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:30PM

Let the finish set up a bit before you apply. I let set for about 10 minutes (depending on finish) before I start to marble (play it by ear). I turn by hand or 3 rpm motor

Posted by: Erik Kunz (64.163.151.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:41PM

I do mine while it's chucked in the drying motor (18 rpm)... I'll do a lot of the swirling while it's turning and I'll stop it from time to time only for an instant to do some swirling as well. You can actually use the sag of the finish to help create or change your pattern if you experiment a little... stop and let it sag one way... then turn it and let it sag another... all kinds of fun tricks.

Erik

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:07AM

I do the pens, all guide marbling, and about 1/2 of the butt wrap marbling by hand.

My dryer is 2 RPM and I can easily do butt wrap marbling there, also. 18 RPM would be pretty tough to keep a "directional" thing from happening without a foot pedal or some easy way to stop and start it IMHO.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster