I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trouble gluing onto American matrix
Posted by: Thomas Tysver (---.westriv.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 05:45PM

Having trouble gluing the cork grip and reel seat onto an American matrix pole. Been using Devcon on other poles but for some reason is not holding onto this one. Thought first did not mix the right amount to gether. But that didn't work for the second time. So was wondering what brand that I should be looking at or is there something else that I may be doing wrong?

Thanks for the information, Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trouble gluing onto American matrix
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 05:57PM

Are you scuffing up the surface on the blank where the grip will go with a grey scotchbrite pad? It may not be able to bond to the gloss finish. It may also have a wax on the blank. I use Rod Bond on everything, it has never failed me yet.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:40PM

I've built on one of these and had absolutely no trouble using Rod Bond.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:47PM

Just make sure you have a water break free surface and all will be well. Check the online library here for the info on how to do that.

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas6.chicago4.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:34PM

I just built one of these last week.I scuffed up the blank with a Scotchbrite pad,wiped with alcohol and used Rod Bond.It seem to hold just fine.Joel

Date: March 27, 2005 08:40PM

Sounds good, but you need to reverse the procedure a bit. Wipe with alcohol first, then scuff with Scotchbrite and then adhere. Never allow a solvent wipe to be the last step in the procedure.

Posted by: Thomas Tysver (---.westriv.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:44AM

Yes did some scuffing on the pole, but didn't try the water break free test. Will do that tomorrow and order some new glue, out of the other any way.

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.67.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:22AM

Sand the area with 220 dry then wipe it off with a paper towel , rag

Date: March 28, 2005 06:23PM

Hello Mr. Kirkman.If you don't mind me asking.Why would you wipe the area first before scuffing and not after to remove the sanding residue and other contaniments?I would understand if you were using an oil-based solvent or does Isopropoyl Alcohol have the same issues?Thanks Joel I learn something here everyday.

Date: March 28, 2005 07:20PM

Any contaminants should be removed prior to doing anything else. Scuffing won't contaminate the surface and the minute residue or dust from that operation will not harm the resulting water break free surface. If it bothers you, take a soft bristled brush and dust off the area prior to applying adhesive or finish.

Very often, the last step of wiping with a solvent simply smears any contaminants across the whole of the surface, ruining your water break free surface. This is why a solvent is used first, to clean the surface in preparation for the real work being done by the Scotchbrite.

You will also find that a desired static charge is created when the last step is the use of Scotchbrite, although the materials we generally use don't really hold such a charge for very long.

What you've done, scuff and then wipe with solvent, is incorrect, but due to the type loads we normally experience with regard to fishing rods I don't think you need to worry about your adhesive jobs. Likely they'll be just fine (we've all done things exactly the way you did) but in the future you might as well go about it in the proper order. Can't hurt!

Date: March 29, 2005 02:58PM

Thanks for your response.I will do things in future like you said.Makes sense to me.Good Fishin' Joel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster