I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Parts for motorized epoxy mixer?
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:04PM

I want to build the motorized epoxy mixer that was written about in the Rodbuilder magazine. I know parts (motor and cup holder) can be bought from places like Mudhole, but does anyone know where I can get a 18 rpm motor and various parts less expensively. There are companies that sell small motors, etc., but I am not familar with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parts for motorized epoxy mixer?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:32PM

Custom Tackle Supply and Fish Sticks 4U have turned out to be about the best sources for good quality 18RPM motors.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:48PM

There's a guy on @#$%& selling 18 RPM motors for $15.95. You can also look here www.allelectronics .com.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:07PM

The motors from Fishsticks are less than $10.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:12PM

Ebayware!!!!! On items that can be purchased from supporters (who pay the bills to make this site possible), I think that it only makes sense to give them the nod. I realize that we all (myself included) buy from non-sponsors at times, but I don't think that it's fair to our sponsors to promote them on a site that they choose not to support.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 02:54AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:30PM

Went to fishsticks to look at those 18 Rpm Motors they are $43.00 according to the web page

Date: March 26, 2005 09:42PM

Sorry Mike, of course your correct. If it weren't for the sponsors we wouldn't have this site. I just thought, if he's operating on a very meager budget as I, then he may want to shop around. I didn't mean any disrespect to the sponsors.

Bill in WV

Date: March 26, 2005 09:52PM

I'd call FishSticks4U and ask. I know they did have some 18RPM motors for far less than that a few months ago.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:07PM

Hi Sanford,

You will never regret making an epoxy mixer. I have attached a link to a photo of mine so you can see how simple and inexpensive it can be.

[img.photobucket.com]

A piece of plastic, motor, screws and the cup holder. The cup holder is made from a table slide (it's a plastic thing that you put under table feet to keep from scratching the floor). It's was cheep and works great. Email me if you need to, your email address is hidden so I can't email you.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:37PM

Hank,
That's really a nice set up!!

Mike

Date: March 26, 2005 10:47PM

Hank,
How did you bend your plastic? Torch? Hair dryer? I have a couple of rotisserie motors I could use.

Bill in WV

Date: March 26, 2005 11:00PM

Thanks Mike - It works great

Bill I used a torch to make the bends - I don't remember the degrees it should be (It's in the article in Rod Maker) but whatever it is you need to figure the weight of the motor. If you bend the plastic to whatever degree then put the motor on the weight of the motor will change the degrees. The neet thing is the piece that holds the cup. Drill a hole in the center, mount it to the motor and tighten it until it holds the cup properly. Simple & inexpensive.

Bill be sure to check the rpm of your rotisserie motors. My motor is a 6 rpm and that is lowest rpm I'd go. Mine works great - had to play with the stainless steel balls to get the correct ones to make that slow a motor work. I know money is tight for you but a higher rpm motor is the better motor to use.

If you need the degrees let me know and I will look the article up and get that info for you.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2005 11:07PM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Date: March 27, 2005 12:57AM

I think it's something like 40 or 45 degrees. Where did you get the plastic? Lowes? Home Depot? Glass Shop? How thick is the plastic? And now for the clincher, would a glass marble be heavy enough? if not, where to get the steel balls? I ask this question in a post further down, you can ignore that one and answer here. I would think, if you reinforced with a tapered 3/4" peice of wood it wouldn't change the angle.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:59AM

I built one 18 rpm and use 3/8--1/2 steel balls I think it's to fast? At times the balls want to ride all the way around the cup. This is with Glass Coat. If I use bigger balls it won't mix in the corner of the cup.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:45AM

Bill,

I checked the article and it says approx 40 degrees. The best place to get the plactic is your local glass replacement stores. There you can get the smaller pieces you need and not have to buy a full sheet. If they have scratched pieces they my just give you a piece that small. I have to go into the shop to finish a rod today and while there I'll get you the measurements for the plastic.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:51AM

If you follow the article, you'll note that it says that if the ball/s revolve past 90 degrees, you need a larger or heavier ball. It doesn't have to mix in the corner of the cup - it mixes everywhere in the cup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster