I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine finders
Posted by: Steve Larson (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: March 24, 2005 03:05PM

I was thinking about building a spine finder but was told that if blank companies found out that I used one that it invalidate any kind of warranty. So now I'm wondering if they do more harm than good. Do they damage the blank? The person who told me this said he used to use one and broke blanks while using it. I printed the plans from the library, so I think I can build it. I'm just not sure if I should use one or not. Any advise out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine finders
Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 03:54PM

Steve
I built one using ball bearings like the one in the Library and I did have one of the ball bearing races score a blank and the blank did break. I have since turned a couple of polycabonate inserts for the ball bearings and I have not had a problem since.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2005 04:38PM

You're not going to invalidate any warranty by using a spine finder. Just use some common sense in use and you'll be fine. You don't want to press a blank against a sharp surface and you don't want to put so much bend in the blank that you risk over-stressing it. Most of this is just common sense. Relax and don't worry about it.

And, if you want, you can build a vertical spine finder - put a bearing with a live center straight up in a 2 x 4 and stand the blanks on end and press down on the tip. These work even better. And, you can just set the blank butt on a marble on a hard surface floor and do the same thing. Cheapest spine finder you can make.

Posted by: Steve Larson (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:26PM

OK... I'm not sure what you mean with the vertical spine finder. What's a bearing with a live center?

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:53PM

I have never damaged a blank using a spine finder. Then again the bearings in the spine finder I have do not have sharp edges - they are beveled.

Spine finders work great, in the early 90s I made one out of a PVC "T" and surplus bearing for less that $10. It is mounted to a bench, out of the way - and still using from time to time. Still, when I do use the spine finder, I still double check for the spine by using my hands.

Lou

Posted by: Kevin Lyons (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:57PM

Tom, can you please expand on the use of a marble as a spline finder.
I currently just roll them by hand but I would like to hear about another method.
Thanks

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:05PM

You can find an example of a 'live center' spine finder on the Mudhole site. The marble would work on the same premise...allowing the blank to roll freely showing you the prominent side.

Jay

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:37AM

Just set the butt end of the blank down on a glass marble. Now press straight down on the tip (you can even drop a glass shot glass over the tip and press down on that if you want it to be even more free spinning). The outside of the bend that forms is the effective spine.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 10:57AM

That's a great tip Tom, thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2005 01:41PM by Mike Anderson.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:29PM

After you and the wife have a cup of coffee take the two cups and locate spines until the caffeine urge hits again. One round bottom cup on the floor and one inverted over the tip will deflect the blank just like the marble. Order a $ 50 spine finder if you want - someone will be happy and you will support the mail system of your choice. One more thing - after you locate the spine - check the curve of the blanks and if it has a nice gentle one plane curve then you can decide what you really want to do with the dirty cups!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Gene Mahn (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:33AM

Tom..
I can't quite visualize the marble way to find the spine. I'm building three 5 piece rods and would like to find a way to find the spine. Is it possible or is it better to just fit it together so it's straight and then wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:19AM

How ever you do it I would suggest Before you do any thing - If you know the thread color you are going to use, Wrap the Mail Joints on each section and finish them, First. Then play with them. This way you are protected fron any Splitting at the mail joints when putting pressure on them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster