I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Digital Scales
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:50PM

I know there was a very good topic from February 21st, 2005. After posting false info from what someone else told me, I'm interested in getting a scale to weigh guides, reel seats, grips,blanks & reels. I could care less about threads & finish.

Can someone recommend an exact model that will give me close enough results. I will guess the lightest guides I will weigh are Titanium Fuji T-LDBSG's size 4's, . If I have to weigh 10 of them & divide, that will suffice. I'd also like to weigh heavier stuff, Tuna set ups - rods & reels & etc's. Can I do this with the same scale?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digital Scales
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:14PM

Billy,
I bought a really nice new little hand held digital reloading/jewelers scale a few months ago on @#$%& for $30 that will measure in either grams, ounces or grains. If you will go to @#$%& and look at either reloading or jewelers scales you will see a bunch of them, mostly new ones. They will tell you what the full scale range and the resolution is. You will probably want one that has a resolution of 1/10 of a gram or less up to a couple of ounces full scale. I looked at mine and it does not have a model number on it or I would give it to you.

Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:34PM

I have no affiliation and haven't purchased from the following site, but they have a good selection & prices on digital scales...

[www.rightonscales.com]

- Bob

Date: March 23, 2005 10:50PM

Emory, does that mean it will weigh in 1/10th a gram increments, up to a couple of ounces max? I think I woul dneed a scale which reads up to a couple of pounds with a Tuna Rod & reel. I will assume this means 2 scales?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:37AM

I think that you're looking at the need for more than one, Billy. Weighing guides and such small stuff is the work for a reloading/jeweler's scale and rods, blanks, reels is going to be a different cat altogether (well, maybe not the blank alone; that would depend on it's size, though).

Posted by: Dave Wallbridge (82.152.144.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:48AM

Billy,

Agree with Randy.
I don't think you will find a single scale that will be accurate over such a wide range.
You can buy a cheap kitchen scale, accurate to 1grm, which would be adequate for weighing blanks, rods and reels but you will need a reloading or chemical balance to weigh the tiny bits.

Dave (UK)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2005 10:24AM by Dave Wallbridge.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:59AM

Billy,
If you want to measure from several pounds down to under a gram I think that you are probably stuck with getting two. I did not see any that had that much range. For measuring pounds you could get a cheap postal scale. I have seen them in Office Depot for $10 but for measuring guide weight I would get one of the little digital reloading/jewelers scales like those shown on the site that Bob listed above..

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:05AM

Billy,
I got the Escali Liberta Digital Pocket Scale - 300g x 0.1g (1/10th gram), from Topline.
Its tiny, about the size of a palm pilot. Worth the $20 I paid for it.
Wieghs up to 10.58 oz.

[www.toplinedigitalscales.com]

Its great for measuring guides in bunches, cork, seats, and blanks, etc....but having one that mesures single guides (1/100th of a gram) would be more useful.

I think you may need to get 2 scales, one for the lighter stuff and one for the heavier.

RB

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:46AM

To weigh rods, I go to the Post Office. Measures to the nearest 1/10 of an ounce and free.

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 06:41PM

Billy,,When i decided to start weighing fly lines ('cause the manufacturers sometimes have their own ideas of what a 5-weight is), I too bought a scale on @#$%&. I bought a used reloader's scale, which measures in grains (not grams), and is probably what you'll want to accurately measure individual guides and other small stuff.Nothin's ever simple;you'll hafta convert to ounces or grams. But it works just fine;you'll be able to figure it out. And yeah, the 16/0 on the stand-up will call for a different approach. Any reloaders' scale oughta do it..they're all accurate for obvious reasons. Good luck . Barry

Date: March 25, 2005 07:08AM

Guys I appreciate the info. Thanks a lot. At least I know I NEED 2 scales for what I want to do, rather than be annoyed my teeny weeny scale cannot measure Tiagara 50W's with 800 yards of 80# braid & a 100 yard tops shot of 80# Mono, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster