I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Jet Lathe--Wheeee
Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:07PM

! I got my Jet ! I got my Jet ! I got my Jet ! Heeheeheeheehee......... ! My wife Barbara mentioned that it has been a long time since she noticed me just break into a couple of chuckles from time to time for no apparent reason.
Seriously though, this 14" mini-lathe seems to be a pretty good piece of work. Quiet, solid, no vibration to speak of, dead accurate right out of the box, just a real nice machine. Nothing missing, packed well for the shipping, just everything was as it should be.
For anyone considering a Jet purchase, I would like to mention that there is $100 difference between the standard model and the variable speed motor. I have found that the belts are simple and quickly adjustable for speed. Just not worth the extra $100 for the variable speed (my opinion).
I'm sure this looks like an advertisement for the Jet, but I have to think that if someone is seriously interested in a small-but-large-enough lathe, you could do a lot, lot worse than one of these for $249..
You folks in the Houston, Tx. area, look at the web site for The Cutting Edge, Houston. Gary

Gary Bechtel
North Channel Tackle Service

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Jet Lathe--Wheeee
Posted by: Steven Wilson (---.eds.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 03:12PM

The Jet mini's are great lathes. Your statement about the usefulness of the variable speed feature is misplaced. For spindle turning (i.e. cork grips) the variable speed isn't necessary, but for turning bowls it can be a life saver. A lot of times you will have rough stock that is out of round on your lathe. The ability to go slower than the slowest pully setting is a godsend. You would be surprised and how much power that little lathe has to chuck a couple pound piece of maple at your head.

Re: New Jet Lathe--Wheeee
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:05AM

Congratulations Gary! I am about to order one myself.

For those who have not noticed the post on March 15th, Amazon.com is giving a $25.00 instant rebate on both the Jet and the Delta. Delta even offers your choice of a free bed extension or an extra $30.- off the price. Offers are good through March 28th. The Jet is my choice and it is certainly a bargain even at $249. Just passing on the info in case someone else is ready to get a lathe.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster