I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aquatic Insects Preserving and Inlays
Posted by: Russ Wilson (---.nas3.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:16PM

I saw a picture of Caddis Larvae Inlaid in a fly grip. It really looked nice. Does anyone know how to preserve aquatic bugs and inlay them. It looked like they were in epoxy or some kind of acrylic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aquatic Insects Preserving and Inlays
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:40AM

I never did insect larva, but I did do a small fly on the butt end of a rod once. one piece of advise...use clear drying epoxy, NOT a wrap finish. I used a finish and it eventually yellowed, not too bad, but it did yellow.

tight lines,
Tim

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:08AM

I think the person who really knows about this is Terry Henson. There are some outstanding photos of inlaid insects he did on the old photo page. It would be great if he would do an article for RodMaker. Hey Tom, that's a hint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 11:10AM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:36AM

Check out Tap Plastics. They have a clear type of I think it is a acrylic for just that use.

Posted by: Robert Duncan (---.vetmed.vt.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:59PM

I agree with the last post. You are likely looking to use a "casting resin." Most all epoxies that I have used in fly tying eventually yellow. I don't think that the casting resin will. Our area craft store sells casting resin so you may want to investigate at your local craft store.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 05:29PM

I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that most of the finish "Epoxies" that we use are. in fact, casting resins. Some have always been known to "yellow" while others remain clear. As far as I know, LS Supreme is the only finish that was specifically formulated for rodbuilding. the rest are mostly just other products repackaged

Be sure that you keep us posted on your results. Keep in mind that craft casting resins are rarely used on outdoor projects and may well yellow eventually also.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 05:32PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Russ Wilson (---.nas11.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:02PM

Thanks to all that replied to this post. I will be researching more on this subject. When I come up with something I will let you all know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster