I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Mandrels
Posted by: Brian Issa (---.pacinfo.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:26PM

I'm sure somebody already thought of this, but in searching the archives I only found reference to using pieces of allthread (not very striaght or easy to chuck), or the smooth mandrels that require you to epoxy the stock to the mandrel for turning.

I found a pen turning mandrel at the local Woodcraft store that has a #2 Mose Taper on one end, and a 7mm mandrel. The mandrel is threaded for about 1inch on one end to accept a knurled nut and has a tapered hole in the end to fit the spur on the live center. Also in the pen turning section, they had a whole bunch of bushing that have a 7mm bore and various outside diameters to fit all the diferent syles of pen inserts. I got some that were close to 3/8", chucked them up and filed them down in the lathe to fit snugly in a 3/8" bore hole. Bore the wood stock, push the bushings in, slide some spacers on the mandrel (the compression nut that comes with the mandrel wont grab hard enough) followed by the seat and bushings, then screw the end nut down nice and tight. Stays put really well if you don't try to take off a half inch at a time. If it comes loose, just tighen the nut. No epoxy needed and much easier to use than all thread. You could even get several sets of bushings in different diameters if you needed to bore for different size rods. They also had a mandrel that allowed the shaft to slide into the MT end and tighten down to vary the length of the mandrel. That would have been the better way to go, less length=less flex, but the one I got seems to work fine and was ten bucks cheaper.

The whole setup cost me 10 bucks for the mandrel, and 5 for the bushings and a very little elbow grease. Here's the link [www.woodcraft.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Mandrels
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:34PM

Andy Dear's new manuals are like that. They come in all of the sizes of his regular mandrels. They are awesome. Like great big pen mandrels I know that he's busy moving but maybe if he see's this, he'll post a pix. They aren't on his web site yet

Mike

Posted by: Andy Dear (69.149.107.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:14PM

Hi Brian,
I'll have the new mandrels up on the website in the next few days. We unveiled them at the Charlotte show, and I think I sold almost every one of them I had! Thye really do expedite the manufacture of reelseats on the lathe. I have been toying with this design for a couple of years, but finally found the time to bring it to light here recently.

keep an eye on the webpage as there will be lots of updates over the next several weeks.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Rich KLine (---.newark-39-40rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:53PM

Andy:
Please send me your web site address, I am intrested in your mandrels.

Thank
Rich Kline

Date: March 22, 2005 08:04PM

Rich,

There's a link on the left. He's a sponsor (and a heck of guy who carries "service" to the extreme!!) Lamar Reel Seats

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 09:16PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:18PM

Andy,

Could these mandrels be used in a drill press to turn also?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 02:15AM

Brian, I recently purchased a set of mandrels from Andy and they work like a charm. I have now turned 3 complete ultra light spinning handles and one fly rod handle with matching barrell real seat. Every one of the center holes remained true. He gives great service! Lon

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.eds.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 03:42PM

I have those pen turning mandrels and setup for turning pens. They would be fine for small grips but for something a bit large (bass, pike, muskie rods) the pen turning mandrels aren't that usefull. Andy's mandrels (old style) are just the ticket. When I received mine I just purchased a couple of collars and use those to lock the glued up blanks on the mandrel. I use pieces of threaded rod, covered with masking tape and parafin, for gluing up blanks. When dried and knock them off and mount them to the mandrel; a fairly painless procedure.

Date: March 23, 2005 05:36PM

Andy's new mandrels aren't pen mandrels. They are basically the same as the old ones except they have one ended threaded and a collar and shims, so that the grip can be slid against the collar and the threaded nut can then be tightened against the other end of the grip locking it into place. Pretty simple and effective

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 05:37PM by Mike Barkley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster