I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My Sage XP vs Dan Craft FT comparison question.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:40PM

I posted this question earlier but may have hit "back" instead of "post"! I clamped my recently built Sage XP 10' 8wt along side my just
wrapped-only Dan Craft FT 10' 8wt on my stress test mounting board. I flex both blanks to the same height off the floor. I posted a picture of them on the Member Gallerly section and would appreciate some feedback. As seen in the phota, the XP with the blue line has a much faster action than the FT with the orange line, but the FT should make a super Salmon rod. When I built the Sage, I started with their guide spacings and made very minor changes to it during my own stress distribution test - which I'm not very good at anyway.

Based on the picture of the two blanks, can I assume since the FT has a stiffer tip that I could have the guide spacings spread out a bit further in comparison to the XP spacings? I'd like to lighten up the tip section on the FT before I put finish on to help balance it better with the reel that I have dedicated for it, and spacing out the guides a bit and/or dropping from 11 guides to 10 overall would help solve my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Sage XP vs Dan Craft FT comparison question.
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:37PM

I think what you say makes sense. Also, and this should make you feel in good company and reassured, Bob Meiser built that rod with only 6 or 7 guides total and said it performed like a champ as a switch rod and handling some major grain loads. If you search his name, you'll find his posts from late summer or fall of last year.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:11PM

Tim,
I would go back over the CC System and use the proceedure that it recommended. It appears to me from the picture that you posted, unless the picture is deceiving, that neither of the rods is level at the butt end and that they are not both deflected 1/3 of their length so I do not know how you can compare either the action or the power of them to each other.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:15PM

Emory, I could be wrong but I don't think that Tim said he is using the CCS - he is just deflecting both some to compare which has faster action. That seems like a valid comparison to me. Certainly as valid or more valid than the old "tip into the floor or ceiling" test.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:04PM

I have nothing at stake with this conversation, but would also rather see both rods stressed by hanging weights from the tip. I haven't seen the picture so I can't see how the rods were stressed, but feel that dead weight on both might give a better impression of each rod's flex point. When I do a floor flex test, I find that I can make the rod flex just about anywhere that I want it to. Not saying Tim is trying to demonstrate any particular outcome, but feel hanging weights on both might be more accurate.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:06PM

Steve,
Yes, I think that you are right about not using the CCSystem. But if you look at the photo's the butts of the two rods are not mounted level or even at the same angle so I think that Tim may be chasing his tail trying to compare the action of the two rods.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 02:37AM

I agree that running a CC test on both will help determine a more accurate comparison. The resulting AA numbers will provide a detailed reference of their respective Actions. I would also run a line from the tip of each rod/blank to a stationary point. This will let you see how each flexes under various loads. I find this is the best test for determining guide placement. I try to mimic the flex the blank takes with just a line from the tip when I finally place the guides. I go back and forth between flexing the line just from the tip to using the other line from butt thought the guides..until they are identical. So long as the space between guides conforms to good sense. and the line takes good angles between guides I am satrisfied that I have found the right placement. Test casting determines the fine tuning to be sure I have optimized the set up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster