I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast 2wt
Posted by: Andrew Eaton (---.sscycle.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:20PM

Does anyone have line weight suggestions for the 6'6" 2pc Forecast 2wt. I want to go with a DT.
Should I stay with a 2 wt or go up to a 3 wt for small stream trout work.

Thanks,
Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast 2wt
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:29PM

It all depends on how much power your blank actually has and how far you plan to be casting it and how you want the blank to feel while you're casting. I have the Forecast 662 in the 4pc. version but haven't built it yet. I tested mine with the CCS and mine has an ERN of 2.67. Given that I'll probably never put 30' of line in the air with that rod in the places I plan to fish it, I'll probably go with a 3wt. or maybe even a 4wt. I like a rod good and loaded for short precise casts, but that's personal preference. Someone else might pick up the blank I have and routinely throw 45' with a 2wt. line and think they died and went to heaven.

As far as DT vs. WF goes, don't you have to cast over 25 or 30 feet for the taper designation to even make a difference? As I understand it, the front of each taper pretty much looks and weighs the same and when I fish a rod this short, I'm almost always going to be fishing the front of the taper. I think the only thing the belly of the line is going to do for me is help fill up the reel.

The model you have and the model I have are both brand new so you may be hard pressed to find anyone who has actually fished this rod yet. I hope to fix that in the next month or so and if I get mine on the water, I'll try to post how it fishes and with what line.

Steve

Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:50PM

I am guessing here but I would say a 3 in either taper. As Steve says, you are not likely to have enough line out to benefit from the taper design. I would put in a quick order for a Rio pocketwater in a 3 from Sierra Trading. You are supposed to be able to aerialize and roll cast DT more easily, but I usually can't tell any difference.

Forecast 4PC 2Wt
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:02PM

I hope to get out on the water with my newly constructed Forecast 4PC 2Wt I purchased through Bob at Hook and Hackle. I am using a 3WT WF Line on a Redington 2/3CT Reel. The Rod looks awesome, I hope to post some pics up on the boards soon. I decided to go with an all aluminum reel seat, chrome winding check, chrome hookkeeper, and all chrome single foot guides. The wraps where done with primarily black thread with a trim band. The design is threaded like this. Three wraps HT Silver, 5 wraps black, 1 Wrap HT Silver, 2 Wraps black, 3 Wraps PacBay Bright Blue Metallic, 2 Wraps Black, 1 Wrap HT Silver, and then black the rest of the way up the guide foot. Ferrule wraps copy the same pattern.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:18AM

I just put the finish on my 2 piece version of this rod this morning. I used single foot wire guides in black with a #8 black single foot ceramic fly guide for the stripper. Black thread and a black anodized slide band reel seat with rosewood insert from Landmark components finish out the rod.

I just came in from a (2 a.m.) casting session in the back yard with all the yard lights on. I loaded it up with a #3 DT. I was casting on the money from 5 feet to about 40 feet. And I was double hauling 60 foot casts no problem. Dead accurate and threw tight loops at high line speeds. I was really amazed by this little rod. It looks awesome and feels great.

I'll be fishing it on Saturday so I will post how well it fishes with a 3 wt. In the not too distant future I will be getting a 2 wt line for my St Croix SC3 2 wt. When that happens I'll post a comparison as well. However based on my backyard testing I think I will probably like it better with the 3 weight.

Absolutely amazing rod. Not a bad deal for a $10 blank.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster