I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru-Oil question
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:15PM

I have re-finished many gun stocks with tru-oil, so I figured I'd try it on a cork handle. I applied it by hand, just like i've done before. It won't dry. It's still tacky after 15 hours. I have put up to 4 coats/day on the stocks that i've done with only 2-3 hours between coats. They were never tacky. Could my tru-oil be too old??

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru-Oil question
Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:37PM

where can I buy tru-oil. I couldn't find any at Home Depot...maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Sorry not an answer to your question just another question!

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:42PM

Try a gun shop, sporting goods store or even wal mart. It's in the gun section, usually around the re-bluing kits.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:49PM

thanks Scott.

Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (206.169.103.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:41PM

Scott,
I like to use Tru-oil on my cork, and I've never had that problem. I find that the cork really @#$%& up the first few coats and dries fast. So you're probably right to think your bottle went bad.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:47PM

I like to use TruOil because it dries in about three hours and hardens well overnight. You may have a bottle that has lost a large percentage of its drying agent and you are getting an extra heavy dose of the oil portion when you apply it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:23PM

I also use True Oil on ALL of my cork/burl grips and love it. Have never had that problem. I wipe it on with a folder coffee filter

Mike

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:57PM

I got mine at Walmart. Near the gun cleaning supplies.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:41PM

I have noticed that the last couple of coats of Miniwax stain over cork can easily take a full 24 hours to dry. Even then some of the oil comes off with a buffing by a soft cloth. Wait 2 days and then buff. I suspect you will be okay.

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:43AM

I found mine at Wal Mart gun cleaning supplies. Like the other Ed. ED...

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 02:50AM

I have applied Tru Oil to many grips and handles (Cork, Burled Cork and Rubberized Cork) all with good looking result. When I built up the finish with many coats it made the burl look great but it was too slippery when wet. At the Charlotte Show I had occasion to hold a fishing rod that Andy Dear had at his booth. The Tennesse Grips were made with the new Burnt Burl and Mixed Burl rings he now sells. The texture was amazing... super soft and velvety. It turns out he had used U-40 Cork Seal by Trondak. I am a convert to the cork seal now, as well as that great cork!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:20AM

I recently tried the tru oil (Bob's retirement rod). I used one THIN coat. It dried in an hour or so. I put the old U40 Cork Seal on the part of cork held in the hand, tru oil on the split grip and fore grip. Couldn't tell the difference in looks or feel.
I think with Tru Oil, too much put on or too many coats might result in that 'slippery' feel, but if one thin coat is used, it's probably going to be alright.
I also got mine at WalMart in the gun section near the cleaning supplies.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.longlines.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:11AM

I use True oil on almost all my wood handles. Drying time for the first coat seems to very depending on the type of wood used, additional coats all dry very fast. I'd just wait a day or 2. You shoud then be able to recoat every couple of hrs.

Regards,

Ray Jorgensen
[classiccustomwood.com]
ccw@classiccustomwood.com
602 Central Ave. E
Hampton, IA 50441
641-456-4599

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:51AM

Hay guys
Reading these posts I was wondering if any one tried it on a blank for a blank coating????
Have never tried it but??? I'm always in for some thing new?

Putter is right on that slippery thing. I used to put epoxy on my cork, now I only put a thined out thin coat, gives a better grip feeling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 11:53AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster