I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing for 1 weight
Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:02PM

I'm going to build one of Dan Craft's 6'10" 1 weight blanks (...fish the one, the one you'll own, etc.). What has been used for guide spacing and wrap colors? Anyone wrap with silk?

thanks,
Shanon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing for 1 weight
Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:16PM

Shanon. I put a guide on each of the ferrules and static distribute the rest. I think I gave John Dow my spacing. If he doesn't have it, I will send it to you in a couple of days. I use 00 silk for my rods. Royal blue, no color preserver looks good. I use Klass Kote epoxy paint and posted my latest technique a couple of weeks ago. REC single foot guides. Welcome to the ONE club.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:46AM

Shanon: I can send you Dan's suggested spacing for this if you'd like, but I'd more strongly suggest doing a static test as described under the "Library" link above. I often use silk on my rods, particularly the lighter line weights or any time I'm trying to match a particular highlight or striation in a wood burl and can't quite nail it with nylon. As the FRSIII61013 comes in natural matte (up until this year) and now satin black, you can use just about any thread you like without worry about "matching" the blank color. Personally, I usually try to match or contrast the wood insert in the reel seat (and trim rings I incorporate in my rods). For example, Cocobolo looks amazing with Gudebrod chestnut. Of course, if you're using a cork seat such as the REC PLRN, the sky's the limit! ;)

Drop me a quick email if you'd like the guide spacing recommendations.

Have fun!

Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:18AM

I forgot to mention that I need guide sizes as well, if you would be so kind.

Shanon

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:31AM

I used the REC RSF recoils 3,2,1,1,1,1,1, top. and a sz 8 stripper
I am wrapping mine with gudebrod Reg A gold, and 2 turn trim bands in white and black.
The gold thread matches the curly koa wood of my seat and jungle cock nails pretty well.
My winding check was a 16/64ths.

Have fun with "the One"

RB

Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:34AM

As I recall, I used #12 single foot spinning guide stripper, REC 4-3-2-2-1s to tip. A single foot 10 ceramic fly guide would also work, but less height. Black or blue silk, the blue being easier to see when wrapping. I greatly favor cork seats and handles for this rod, unless you intend to use the Forbes 1.6 oz Avon. With a cork seat and handle, you can use the White River UL at 2.2 oz. or a Forbes Magnesium. Overstock finally sold out of the magnesium, so the White River is your best buy.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:27PM

Shanon:

Don and Robert are on the mark with their suggestions, although you cannot get the RSF in size 1...only RSFX. I'd lean more toward a size 10 or even 12 stripping guide than an 8, but I prefer them a bit large. I build mine with H&H standoff guides with their DLC finish and a standard size loop tip top as opposed to oversized: #12 or #10, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:33PM

John, I used the RSF's. Ordered them directly from REC.

I couldnt really tell a casting distance difference with a #10 as a stripper, but then again, this is a 1wt, and a 30'+ cast would be long for my applications.
Definitely use an all cork seat/grip if you want wt under 1.5oz With my REC CRNS seat, i'll be pushing 1.5oz total. The PLRN cork seat is a good lightweight option.
RB

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:34PM

Shannon , I used a #10 stripper ,a Fuji SIC I had kicking around , 3,2,2, and 1s (recoil RSF) the rest of the way , 8 guides total + a tip top(Recoil) . I don't have Dons spacing as I used it for comparison only , though we were both close to one another . I had my furrel guides a bit farther off the female than Don did . I used black nylon , simple and neat , looks nice with Dans blank . Do you have "One"?........... JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:22PM

I used the guides Dan sent with the blank, #8 stripper, # 2 1ea, #1 1ea, #1/0 5 ea. small tip top all SF Forecast guides. Used Angler's Workshop silk that's about the same shade as Gudebrod med. brown. Stripper and the 5th guide from the tip on a ferrule.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster