I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with DanCraft blank selection
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:06AM

I am going to replace my 9 wt factory rod with one of Dancrafts blanks but I have a few questions first. I will be using this rod for Large Striper and Hybrid. I will be casting large sometimes bulky and often heavy flies long distances. I will almost always be casting from the deck of my boat.

1. SigV or FT? like the sound of the FT’s durability. I have broken a 9wt on these fish before. And fly to rod collisions are a possibility
2. Would a 10’ be better for casting large/heavy flies a long way from the deck of a boat, or should I stick with a 9’ to keep the weight/fatigue down?
3. If I go with the FT, Dan doesn’t seem to make a 9 wt. Which blank would be the best match, the 8 or the 10 wt? It wouldn’t be a problem but I have lots of $$ invested in 9 wt fly line.

I recently finished a SigV 5 wt. I must say I have never spent so much time looking at and playing with a fly rod, this one is PUUURfect. I just can’t put it down.
Thanks Rocky Mtn and Custom Tackle for all your help! The great folks at Custom Tackle took time away from a Sat afternoon fishing trip to help me get all the right components together. I sure am lucky to have such a great company right in my back yard. Anytime you get the itch to fish Bob you have my number.
Thanks again!

MikeA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with DanCraft blank selection
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:13PM

Hi Mike! You're welcome! We're delighted that you're delighted! :)

I'd probably lean toward the FT908-4 for the following reasons.

1. The FT is inarguably more durable. OK, maybe you can argue it, but IMHO it's a tougher stick.

2. The 10' length really does add fatigue. More graphite further away from your hand = greater swing weight, period. That having been said, I actually prefer the 10'-ers to the 9's (the way they load and transfer energy is just a thing of beauty), but casting a 9' rod off the deck of a boat should not be a problem.

3. That's up to you, as both blanks will cast the 9wt line nicely, IMO. But the 8wt is pretty much an 8/9 in my books, and there's more reserve power in an FT than any other blank on the market that I've found. If a mere mortal 9wt stick can do the job, then the FT908-4 is all you need and then some. If you look at Steve Kartelia's post from the other day on CC numbers for these blanks, you'll see you'd probably get away with an even "lighter" (designation) FT, but I find Dan knows what he's doing in rating these where he has. Up to and including the 906-4, I like every one of them best with the designated line. The 907-4 I like equally well with both 7 and 8 wt line, and the 908-4 I like with 9wt or something like an AirFlow Plus 40 8wt, which is actually more like a 9wt anyway!

In terms of general contrast/comparison, the Sig V will recover (dampen) more quickly, but what makes it so lightning fast makes it a little more fragile. That's not to say it's a "baby me" kind of blank, but IN COMPARISON the FT is distinctly less "fragile" (wrong word, I think, but can't seem to find the right one yet!). The FT is more of a noticeable tip-action in the 9' models, but as you increase line wt (grains) they load beautifully into the mid and unload with authority. I think a competent caster can generate higher line speed out of the Sig V, but you might need a radar gun to tell the difference because you can certainly push the envelope with the FT as well. It's a great all-round blank and is especially effective in saltwater situation IMO.

All the best,

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 05:19PM

John,
What weight "large" Stripers are you considering in this decision process? If I was preparing for 40# and up would you still recommend the 8 weight FT? I havenot looked at ther CC's yet but my gut tells me a 10, 10/11 or even 12 weight would be a safer bet. I do plan to build on a Dan Craft blank in the future for LARGE Stripers in the surf.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 05:59PM

Dave-- If it were me, I'd look long and hard at the 9' 10 weight V model. VERY LIGHT and casts itself.

I had one for a trip to Florida which involved 7-8" flies into a stiff wind. Big fly, 90' of fly line, and it still wanted to go longer. I fished it in Minnesota for pike and muskie; ended up selling it to a musky fisherman who wanted to throw 12" flies.

I like the FT's too...
I have a 9010-4 and 908-4 FT here in the shop, and I am building the 908-4 for stripers here in MD and then for steelhead/salmon next year in OR. The 908-4 seems like it'll be a nice match with an 8wt line for my casting stroke and the type of fishing it'll be doing (sinking lines, big flies, etc.) That said, I like the feel of it but I would step up to the 9010-4t for chinook >40lbs.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:32PM

Got to agree with Scott, my Sig V 10 weight is one major meat stick and a sweet casting rod.

Date: March 21, 2005 07:18PM

Thanks Scott and Spencer. I was almost sure that a 10 weight is the right choice. I have one of the discontinued factory Allstar Austin 10/11 rods. It is an 8'6 versoion and I want to go up to a 9 footer. I am a bit surprised that you prefer the Sig V over the FT given the sturdier construction of the FT. Surf fishing can be abusive even when I keep my mouth shut.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:29PM

Mike,

The next Sig V trout rod you must build is the 8'4 4 wt. Unbelievable. I drool just looking at it when I take it out of the sock. You must---MUST---cast this rod.

Keith

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:22AM

Built one of the 8'4" 4wts the other day and it weighed 2.15oz wet.
Seriously.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:40AM

Dave:

ANY time you're looking at 35lb+ fish, I'd start thinking 10wt! I was just responding to Mike's question about a 9wt, and the FT908-4 really does seem like an 8/9 to me. Hence my recommendation.

For your needs I would definitely recommend the FT9010-4, though I likely would have had to include the BAF9010/11-2 up until its unfortunate demise! That being said, the new RX8+ 9010-4 would have to be on the list as well if it's within your budget. I'm not sure if anyone's had the opportunity to actually cast one of these yet, but if it's anything like the rest of the series, including a couple 908-4's I've built, it will be stunning. As in worthy of a whole new class of words to describe it. :)

Sorry I didn't get back to the board until just now, but thanks for calling me on that apparent questionable advice!

Warmly,

Date: March 22, 2005 03:40AM

John,

Your response to the original question was right on tatget. I changed the question to seek advice for larger fish.I appreciate your confirming advice. I will probably start with a Dan Craft FT 9'-10wt-4pc once I finish up my more pressing projects. No sense in spending the big bucks for an RX-8 when the FT will be a pleasure to cast. Later on I might treat myself to the RX-8. As far as I'm concerned the more rods the better... and the better the rod the more reason there is to build it. I appreciate your help. It's great to know you're always here with good advice.

Dave

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.156.244.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:47AM

Thanks again to all for your advice. Now you got me wanting that 4 wt..... If I only had a few more arms to cast with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster