I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel advice
Posted by: ronald flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:33AM

mornin. i'm about to build a smallmouth rod out of a ST CROIX 2S66MLF blank 4-10 lb line with a concept guide system. i need to get a reel before i start. so many reels out there!! any recommendations on make, model & size would help me out BIG TIME!!! thanks much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel advice
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:58AM

Customer had me build him a St. Croix 5S66MLF and he originally wanted to use a Shimao Stradic 2000 but the 1000 size proved to be the perfect match.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:09AM

I'm a bit of a reel junkie, i've bought and sold over 30 reels in the past couple years. I've kept those that have impressed. What I have noticed is that the reels i keep always seem to be Daiwa or Shimano. In my opinion, these two companies can't be touched in reel quality. (St. Croix reels are made by Daiwa).

Do you hae a price range in mind?

I second the recommendation for the Stradic reel. Fantastic reel and one of the best values in the Shimano line. Much of the sustain and stella feel at a bargain price.
For Daiwa, the new Theory is an excellent under $100 reel, the TD-Advantage is solid (both in 1500 size would work well). For more money, the finest reel I have ever laid my hands on regardless of price is the Daiwa Certate. Expensive ($350) but built to last a lifetime and is as smooth as a reel can get.

Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:27AM

I agree with the other two guys about a Shimano Stradic on that , I fish those St. Croix blanks myself, but I'd lean towards the 2000 size reel, for one reason mainly: you tend to get less line twist with the larger reel. (Actually, the current Stradic model, the FH, comes in a 2500 size, not 2000, but they have a nearly identical size chasis.)

Date: March 21, 2005 09:41AM

I had both Stradics, the 1000 and the 2500. I think both could be used well for bass, although the 1000 would benefit from a superline (with mono leader) to get some extra line on the spool. Another thing to consider is the handle knob. The 1000 has a rubberized "I" knob, which I prefer to the "T" handle of the 2500. I wish manufacturers would make the knobs interchangable, as this is the main contact area that the angler has with the reel, and if it is not comfortable, the whole reel becomes undesirable.

Mark

Mark Janeck

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:17AM

I used to love Shimano until I discovered OKUMA. They have a zillion ball bearings smoooooth as silk and much cheaper. My oldest one is four years old and gets fished very often. It is still in premo shape. Caught a 15 pound Striper on it with six pound Maxima line in Three generators below a Dam. The drag past the test. Look on Cabelas and find the one you want then go to @#$%& and buy it cheaper. I currently own 7 Okuma reels, 5 bought from @#$%&. All have 10 or more BB's.
It is my opinion that you can get a much higher quality reel in an Okuma for the money. Shimano reels are great reels but you do pay for their name.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:28PM

Okuma makes some pretty nice reels, but they in my opinion they weigh to much, and I like the faster gear ratios of the Stradics.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:10PM

QUANTUM....Energy PTi 20

I built a 3S66MLF SCIII spinning rod for a client last month. He's a dedicated Shimano Stradic fan. He asked my opinion for a new reel to match the new rod and I aimed him to the Quantum line. Since this rod has American Tackle Holographic guides I thought the holographic bodied Energy PTi would make a nice match. The 20 size is ideal in weight and line capacity concerns. It holds 140yds of 6# mono. Quantum has invested millions in redesigning their product line. IMHO Quantum reels are built to higher precision standards than most Shimanos. There is appreciably less play in the anti-reverse action. I prefer their light body design and magnetic bail feature. Whether in silver or holographic they have great corrosion protection in a clean look that matches well with any color blank. I confidently recommend these reels. My own reel collection includes aTibor Riptide, aTibor Light Tailwater, a Ross Evolution, a Van Staal VS 200 and a Shimano Conquest 401 in additon to a low range Quantum Icon. The Icon is a wonderful bargain priced reel at under $60. If the budget is bigger go up in class to the PTi series but stay with the 20 size. At least give them a test drive and see if you agree.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:49PM

Ronald,
I would suggest the Quantum PTi series spinners if you are using the lighter baits.
[tackledirect.com]

You can look for deals but this is pretty much the going price. The 20 or 30 should suit the rod well, it just depends on the reel seat and guides size and placement along the length of the rod blank.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2005 07:51PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.180.20.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:19PM

I’ve never weighed them but if there is a difference it could be all the ball bearings...

Date: March 22, 2005 09:00PM

I'm with Spencer, I've tried Okuma because of the specs and price, but found them to be heavy and just not as refined as Shimano or Daiwa. Having said that, for the $50-60 or so that they cost on @#$%&, they are a decent reel. As you can tell, many reels, many opinions. It's like asking "what's the best blank".

Good luck

Mark Janeck

Posted by: Peter Kerns (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:50PM

The real truth is that okuma reels are crap. An Okuma reel with 7 bearings is about $50. A shimano reel with 7 bearings is $250. It's more money because it's a better reel. You get what you pay for. Are you looking for price, or are you looking for quality? Its like saying a penn senator is just as good as a penn international. I have 6 shimano reels and I love them all. I think shimano is superior to every reel that is out there. No other reel compares to Shimano. There are other good reels out there but Shimano is the best. And you don't have to spend top dollar to get a good reel. I have 3 spheros reels 2 tekota reels and 1 cardiff reel. They are all mid range priced reels, and will last almost my whole life. Just like you don't need to buy a Lexus when you can buy a Honda for half the price and is still an excellent car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster