I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracks on guide foot
Posted by: Don Jones (---.dsl.hrbg.epix.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:31PM

I did a search but couldn't find info on repairing guide foot cracks. I have a rod that has cracks on a double foot guide. I was wondering what would be the best method for fixing this problem. I think it happened from abuse...being stepped on to be exact. I just finished my first rod. I am very pleased with the results. It was a Seeker BS706S, split grip, split reel seat, spiral wrapped guides. I'm ready to start another. Information gained from this site as well as the show helped a lot also received help from George Roth which was very helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracks on guide foot
Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:05PM

On the guide itself, or in the finished coat?

Posted by: Don Jones (---.dsl.hrbg.epix.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:10PM

The cracks are in the finish

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:33PM

Don,
I do not really know of a method of repairing the crack other than to cut the guide off and redo it. You could of course apply some additional epoxy over the crack but I suspect that it is just going to crack again. If the crack is right at the end of the guide foot it is probably not from being stepped on but is the result of the rod flexing more than the guide foot flexes. You can improve this situation somewhat by grinding more metal from the guide foot making it thinner so that it will flex more as the rod flexes.

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:34PM

If it is one you have built (or you know what finish was used) you could rough up the surface with 3m scotch-brite 7448 pad and put a lite coat on top.

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:05AM

I had the rod built for me early last year. The cracks are located right at the end or each foot. The guide is not loose yet.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.114.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:03AM

Perhaps you should contact the builder. The guide feet may have to be redone? The thin coat will look good but it may crack again

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:15PM

The builder is difficult to deal with.....there are many horror stories related to sending rods back to him for repair then never seeing the rod or hearing from him again. He's kind of the reason I started making my own. I like the style of rod but didn't want to deal with him so I built one on my own.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:28PM

With a reputation like that, why would anyone deal with him in the first place?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster