I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Createx Auto Air Paints
Posted by: Derek L. McMaster (---.243.242.37.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 03:53PM

Picked up a 4oz bottle of Flair Blue/Copper and another of Pearl Blue to give them a try. The Flair ain't cheap at $24.50 but a 4oz bottle SHOULD go a long way. Application will be on an epoxy black base coat and airbrushed on.

Here goes nothing guys.

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Createx Auto Air Paints
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:30PM

Rotsa ruck, don't spill that stuff!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 05:00PM

I 've looked at this on @#$%&. You can buy kit's with 6 to 8 color's. Just curious Putter, why did you make that statement? Is this product not suitable for use on rods?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 05:07PM

There are I believe 135 colors in the Auto Air line alone....I went to the local high end paint shop today and nearly had a nervous breakdown looking at all the goodies.

Derek

Date: March 18, 2005 06:12PM

Not at all; I should say that I have no idea. Just wishin' Derek good luck. As expensive as it is, sure don't want to spill it!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:50PM

Another note: they also have pigments?????

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 07:36AM

Wish I had the money and the room. Spraying is the only way to go!
Show pictures
Get some of those Custom Car Mags. Take a look at the colors that can be had??????!!!!!!

Date: March 19, 2005 07:38AM

Wish I had the money and the room. Spraying is the only way to go!
Show pictures
Get some of those Custom Car Mags. Take a look at the colors that can be had??????!!!!!!
They also make - forget who - a small spray both in case you are spraying inside. You could rig up your own.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.239.78.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:01AM

Looking into making both a spray box/drying box, and a sandblasting cabinet over the next couple of weeks. The auto colors need a baking process for proper adhesion of the paint so I am presently researching the kind of heat tolerances different blanks have so I can get a better idea of the kind of heating element I will need. As for room....I live in a mobile hime so room is at a premium.....My guest bath is my spray/sandblasting work area and my living room is my rod wrapping area.

Hobby compressor $50
Badger 250 Airbrush $25
Accessories $20

BTW

You would not BELIEVE the vibrancy of some of the Auto Air Flourescents and Metallics.

Make the room and steal the money if you have to, the possabilities area endless.

LOL

Date: March 20, 2005 02:26AM

I would stay below 240 degrees Farenheit, Derek. Any more on graphite blanks and you're running real close to the temperature that you'd loosen up the whole works...

Date: March 20, 2005 06:12AM

Any blank I have redone with Plasti-Kote auto colors on, were a heck of a lot of work to get the paint off. This only tells me that heat is not really needed for adhesion. To quick dry maybe? But they dry fast.
I think it is Airbrush.com you can get the whole setup compressor, brush for a little over $100.00

Date: March 20, 2005 08:22AM

Derek
Get the two stage brush. This is the one that has air coming out first, then the material. A lot nicer to use

Date: March 20, 2005 10:52AM

A local Rod Builder is setting aside some of his used 2-stage brushes for me to purchase when I have the cash (it may be a while). My head is still spinning with all of the colors and possible blends that can be done with just this one series of paints. I am no "Putter" but I hope to come up with some pretty tricked out rod/reel combos. The first few will be give-aways to close friends (I am the only one in the family that fishes) just to get my work out there and collect some feedback. I am a bit pickey when it comes to selling my work so I am on the "5-year Plan." If I don't feel confident in being able to sell my work for what I would need to charge for it by the end of the next five years I will keep rod building as just a hobby.

The information contained on this board has been a huge help I can tell you.

Bill

Have you had a chance to look at the Createx Auto Air line of paints yet. If not, DON"T!!!!!!! The colors will haunt your dreams believe me.

Cheers....Time for more coffee!

Derek

Date: March 20, 2005 11:07AM

Colors -- Take a look at some thing like House of Color. They sell auto custom colors. Or even go into a auto body supply and take a look. But we are also talking big bucks
Since I do not have room for a compressor the plasti-kote sprays are nice for rod blanks. Nice metalics.

Date: March 20, 2005 11:28AM

Hey Bill....My compressor works great and it is only a little but larger than a bowling ball bag. Coleman Powermate VP201 about $50 at Pep Boys. No room for a compressor......Really?

Derek

;-}

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:40AM

Well I airbrush RC car bodies for Friends. I use Auto Air, make sure you get a good brush preferably one you can change nozzles some of this paint likes a fine nozzle some a medium nozzle keep that in mind, Iwata makes a good brush you can do this with, Call a pro shop to get the right equipment you will save yourself some time and frustration. This paint does not need to be baked! You must set it with some heat but a Hairdryer works great. You can also put it out on a sunny day. Don't wast your money on cleaner use windex same thing. I would however get the bonding agent. here's a site I have ordered from, [www.bearair.com]

Date: March 20, 2005 11:45AM

I got blanks in two corners of the living room, a computer table with clear, tape, sand paper in front of that, two boxes of guides, cork, reel seats, reamers etc, lath, on the floor around a coffee table, plus a couch, two coffee tables, chair, tv, two stacks of fishing mags, one closit with a shelf of paint, another with fishing line fly line,reels. All in a 11 buy 11 room. I really have no room.
I could stick it in a corner --- some where??

Date: March 20, 2005 11:47AM

O yea, I also hang painted blanks off the one small closit door

Date: March 20, 2005 11:56AM

This is a great brush [www.bearair.com] get the .05mm needle & nozzle also.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:01PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster