I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank comparisons
Posted by: adrian sharp (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 02:22PM

I'm new to this site - and to rod building. Thanks to Mark Gustavson for pointing me over here.

I've been toying around with the idea of a fly-rod designed specifically for kayak fishing over deeper water. The challenge, as I discovered in Baja, is the lack of lifting power in traditional fly rod blanks combined with the fact that you are only six inches above the water surface. With a standard 9ft 12wt rod, even getting a small tuna to hand is a major issue and "high sticking" is unavoidable - tuna inevitably end up directly under the boat. Big fish over shallower water are less of an issue since there is less scope forn them to "sound".

What I'm really interested in is comparing blanks rated for AFTM line classes with other blank designs - spin rod / bait casting etc.

I have found a list of grains/grams/ounces equivalents for the AFTM scale up to 12wt. How does that compare to the casting weight ranges specified for a spin rod?

For example:

12wt equates to 380 grains (+/- 12) = 24.62 grams = 0.86 ounces. The grainweight applies to the first 30ft of flyline - although there is huge variation in different manufacturers interpretation of the AFTM scale.

How would a spin rod blank rated to cast 1/4 - 3/4 ounces perform with a 12wt line?

Now I know there is a lot of pure science in rod blank designs (taper, graduated wall thickness, "modulus" etc.) and the physics of casting a flyline versus a weighted object - but I'm not looking for a distance casting rod - this is a Kayak rod. The first prototype will probably be around 7ft in length. I can cast a 9wt line 60ft with the tip of my old 10ft spin rod so I know there is plenty of scope here.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has done any comparisons.

I 'm thinking of using a Cape Fear spin-rod blank but thought I'd get a few more ideas first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank comparisons
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:54AM

There have been some people making mangrove close quarters combat flyrods with mag bass blanks. Taking your line wt. / 16 will get you in the ballpark with lure weights. Another choice would be a 7 1/2 ft hotshot blank, have tried throwing flylines with them and they don't do a bad job of it.
A 6 to 12 lb line hot shot blank starts casting good with a 8 wt line, at least the ones I've tried do. Both are definitely tip action blanks. There are also some 2 piece hot shot blanks if that's what you prefer.

Spencer

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 05:48AM

Get a 12wt Ugly Stick blank,LOL.It won't cast too great,but it will sure let you pull on it.

Posted by: adrian sharp (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 08:28AM

Thanks Spencer - that's exactly what I was looking for - the line-weight/16 ratio gives me a good starting point.

Tony - LOL - if ugly stick made a 7ft 12wt blank that would probably be my first choice!

Thanks guys

Now I just have to spend some money .....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster