I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Phillip Willms (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 01:42PM

Hi guys, I've been looking for two blanks, both in the 10'-12' range. They will be used for heaving heavy loads and must be very stout. One will be slinging about a pound total (weight and bait), and the other will be slinging 2-3 pounds total. I know this sounds impractical, but it'll get the job done for me. Would graphite offer any significant casting distance increase over glass in these circumstances? I was thinking about getting a glass rod because of the durability, but am open to suggestions.
Thanks for your help,

-Phillip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 03:39PM

Just curious. What species of fish are you after, and why the long length of 10' or longer?
I'm sure the best idea is E Glass, but that's an awfully heavy way to go if you can use something lighter or adjust the tecniques somehow for whatever you are fishing for?

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Phillip Willms (66.25.165.---)
Date: March 18, 2005 03:59PM

I will be fishing for tarpon, jewfish, sharks, and other bigguns with these two rigs. The length is for casting distance from a jetty, pier, or if the surf is very very rough. It also helps keep the line off the sandbars, which will eat right through your line.
-Phillip

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:06PM

Rainshadow SU 1509 for the big rod, it's 12'6" and will handle all you can throw with it. It's the best surf heaver on the market in my opinion. The blank will run you about $180. For the lighter stick, the Rainshadow SU 1266 would be a fine option. It's 10'6" and just a great all around rod for surf fishing. 2-5 oz is optimal for this one. If you want one kinda inbetween these two then it doesn't get any better than the SU 1418 (11'9", 3-6oz). With those three sticks you'd be ready for anything that came your way.

Posted by: Derek MCMASTER (---.243.242.37.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:13PM

Sounds like similar specs to the rods that hardcore Ulua fishermen use in the Islands except their rods are regularly from 15-18' and sport Penn reels of around 6/0 in size.

I have a custom job that was made for me by a native and it is not something you want to have to move around alot. If you are fishing from a static location however it is fine.

Start doing as much upper body and ab/lower back exercises as you can stand though.

Derek

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:20PM

Phillip, see my post below (first rod is finished), the rod is a cascade 12'6" two piece (the closeout prices are hard to beat) that I purchased from Mud Hole Tackle. Although I'm new to building, I've been surf fishing for 26 years. I cut 6 inches off the tip of the rod to make it extra stout because I plan on throwing about the same amount of weight you're talking about. I plan on test casting it tomorrow, but I expect it to handle about anything I can tie to it. It really feels good to hold, and it's light for it's length. Good luck on your selection.

Posted by: Phillip Willms (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 05:33PM

Bruce, after you test cast it, can you give me a report? What weights you used, how it handled, etc.
Thanks for your responses guys.

-Phillip

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 06:25PM

I sure can. I'm going to start out with 8 ozs. and then probably throw 12 ozs. or so. I currently have only 40 lbs. for a shock leader, so I might not be able to sling the 12 oz. as hard as I normally would. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 02:06AM

Perhaps you fellas should rig up your heavy heavers to a catapult system and let the machine do the casting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster