I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First rod is finished
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:03AM

Well, I just finished my first rod! It's a 12' two piece surf caster, and was a very enjoyable experience. I learned a ton of stuff from this forum, and about a half a ton from my mistakes. I can't wait to start my next project ( a 10' spinning rod for the surf). I already have the blank, and am trying to decide on guides. I want to try the new concept system, and am sure I'll be asking some questions here once I get it underway. Here's a link to some pic's, and am looking forward to comments/sugestions on what I can do to improve. I kept the butt section of the rod simple (no fancy wraps) because I can't wait to cast it, plus I figure I can always add a fancy wrap later. Again I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for the help in building this rod.

Bruce Wetzel

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2005 11:05AM by Bruce Wetzel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First rod is finished
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:11AM

Great job for a first rod, or for a hundredth rod! Those guide wraps are longer than I would have made them myself, but they are beautifully done. Keep on building (as if you could stop)!

Date: March 18, 2005 11:20AM

Thank's Tom, Yeah the wraps are REALLY long. I decided to err on the safe side because I built the rod to handle up to 16 ozs. of weight, if need be. The surf in Cape Hatteras can get pretty rough in the spring and fall. I can see one major problem in this whole rod building process, and it's finding the time to do all the rod's spinning around in your head!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.119.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:32AM

Bruce, congratulations and great job. Now, do yourself a favor before the addiction takes hold too strongly. Delete this site from your favorites list, never come back here again, destroy your computer, and go fish that surf rod like crazy. As you describe it, "all the rods spinning around in your head" will eventually drive you insane.

Steve

Date: March 18, 2005 12:04PM

Steve, save yourself, it's too late for me!!!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.an2.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:12PM

Ditto

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: March 18, 2005 01:15PM

All I can say is it is very addicting. I hadn't built a rod for about 10 years and I started again and I am worse than ever, I am even into doing closed wraps for decoration. I can't stop :-)

But anyway wrap length is subjective to ones own tastes, some people don't care for metallic thread some people think it is the cats meow. Build them the way you like em.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.242.37.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 03:57PM

Bruce

If that is really your first rod you have quite a career ahead of you as it looks great. Makes my first look like a used toothpick in comparison. Good color scheme and minimal grips which is what I like on surf casting rods as well.

Well done.

Derek

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.37.44.106.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:25PM

Great job, Bruce!

As far as extra long wraps for extra durability, only the wraps that are over the guides will add to the strength/durability. For a big rod like you built, I don't think performance is affected as much as it would be on a lighter rod, but you might try extending your wraps only a quarter of an inch or less in the future.

Excellent job with the proportions of the different thread colors. It's obvious that you took a lot of care measuring for accurate spacing of the wraps.

Go catch some fish! We rod builders in New England have to wait a bit, but hopefully not much longer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster