I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

11 New Five Rivers FT models
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.224.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:33AM

Here are the test results for each model in full and 3/4 length. 9' models are 6'9.5" w/ butt dropped and 10' models are 7'6" w/ butt dropped. These have been proofed for errors and double checked where unexpected readings resulted. YES, the 10' numbers are correct. A year ago there were good explanations made about how you can gain power by dropping the butt and I don't have time to go into it right now. Someone may chime in and I hope that they do because I'm a little burned out at the moment. Search and read if you are curious but the data are correct. You'll also notice that the AAs on these 10' models shows a good bit more variation than the 1007-4 and 1008-4 I tested last year. So be it - more variety.

Thanks to Dan for the opportunity to test these and make them available to builders. Thanks to Bob Hesser, Bill Hanneman, and Tom Kirkman and other CCS database contributors for all your efforts too. Now, to everyone else, GET BUILDING and let's hear some feedback on how they fish!

FT902-4 7.03/78 3/4 4.60/70

FT903-4 8.52/78 3/4 5.79/69

FT907-4 10.33/79 3/4 8.52/74

FT908-4 10.63/77 3/4 9.91/73

FT9010-4 11.74/77 3/4 10.77/71

FT9012-4 12.08/74 3/4 11.18/68

FT1003-4 6.89/64 3/4 6.89/60

FT1004-4 6.62/64 3/4 6.89/61

FT1005-4 8.15/71 3/4 7.78/67

FT1006-4 8.40/67 3/4 8.73/67

FT1010-4 10.00/60 3/4 11.32/60

I will e-mail them to Bob Hesser to be added to the database. When I get a chance to build some, I'll post also but that might be awhile.

Tight lines and tight wraps,

Steve
sdkxc88@wakeforestsports.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 11 New Five Rivers FT models
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 18, 2005 10:45AM

Thanks for the data Steve. I am debating a new salt rod built on a FT 2 or 3 weight. With my flyfishing elbows (from casting heavy salt rods!) I would really like to stay as light as possible, but have the option of a heavier line as the need arises (read: wind). Your data has me leaning towards the 1003-4 built as a switch rod. On the other hand, the short 3 of 4 might be even easier on those elbows. Any thoughts folks? Looking at reds mostly under 5 lbs.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:38AM

I have the FT 902 & 903-4 blanks now and will test them right away and post them also. The taper and power on these blanks will be interesting to test in the field. I have found the Dan Craft FT blanks offer great versatility but one has to learn how best to use it. Unlike some other good blanks I have built with these don't run out of power and go flat once they have reached their designated line weight.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2005 11:39AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.174.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:00PM

That's great Stan. Hopefully, John Launstein will also add a bunch of data points soon too. I know he carries Five Rivers and uses the CCS a lot. You are right, these 9' models don't run out of power easily. They can flat out send it. I haven't built or fished the 10' models but as you know Bob Meiser and John L. have raved about them. Gonna try the FT1004-4 for myself as a switch rod/nymphing stick and also build the FT902-4 and FT907-4.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 01:16PM

Don,

I don't know what fishing for Redfish is all about so I'd rather let someone who does that answer your question. My FT1004-4 project will probably get used as a two handed rod on big warmwater for swinging smallmouth streamers and on trout water for fishing nymph and split shot rigs. Seems like it ought to have plenty of power to fish a 6-7wt. line and handle large fish. From what people say they use for steelhead, it ought to do that well too, either as a spinning or fly rod. So, I'm guessing it could handle small redfish without too much trouble if the length is good for that type of fishing??

Steve

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:26PM

I have built and fished two FT rods, a FT1010-4 switch rod and a FT905-4. The FT1010 is the first switch rod I have ever used and have been amazed at the way it shoots a line both single and double handed, it was built with only 8 guides per Bob Meiser's recommendations. The FT905 is also a great rod and does very well with a 4wt line but I think it would do even better with a 5 or 6 weight line and plan to try it that way soon. I am about ready to start on a FT1003-4 and if it turns out anything like the other two I will be very pleased.

By the way, I haven't caught very many fish yet but hope to this summer if we have enough water left here in Oregon to keep the fish alive. The experts are saying that this could be the driest year ever in the Northwest.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2005 08:30PM by Bob Crook.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster