I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

build on spine or curvature of blank
Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.ez-net.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:45PM

I have searched and not found any definite answers to this question. When a blank is curved, and the spine is not aligned with the curve, what are the pros and cons of building on either the spine or the curve. I ask this because I have a blank that has a pretty good curve in it. I am building it into a 7 foot medium action spiral wrap casting rod. From what I have gathered by searching, if I build on the spine, and the blank curves to one side, then it may not cast accurately. I want to make sure that I can cast straight with it when completed. I am of the understanding that if I build on the curve of the blank, it will cast straight, and the spine will not matter with the spiral wrap. I thank everyone in advance for their opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: build on spine or curvature of blank
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:13AM

Mike,
As you may know there is a lot of controversy about this and you may want to do a search to get a variety of opinions. My feeling is that there is way too much made of spine and the allignment of the guides relative to the spine. In fact, for a rod that will be used to cast with, one can make an argument that for best casting accuracy the spine should be on the plane of the cast or about 90 degrees from the guides. If I were you, paricularly if the rod is going to be spiral wrapped, I would allign the guides that are toward the tip, after the transition guides, on the bottom of the curve in the blank, and not worry about the spine. If you can tell any difference in your casting accuracy then your casting accuracy is one heck of a lot better than mine.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:32AM

Mike,

If it is a real noticeable curve I build on the curve not the spine.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:42AM

Mike,

Go to the FAQS and read away. There is probably more there than you will care to read.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.182.111.98.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 10:35AM

Just the opinion of a novice rod-builder, but avid bass fisherman. The spine doesn't amount to much on a casting rod. You may achieve a few more feet in distance due to the rod loading more efficiently on occasion. The spine effect is only effective if the spine is in alignment with the casting plane. I doubt I cast on the same plane twice in a day.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 01:04PM

I would suggest using the spine to your advantage in guide placement. Much of that is explained in the FAQ as mentioned above.

Factory rods would tend to put guides to compensate any curvature. A customer might be aiming down the rod and choose the one that looks 'straight', even though a better use of spine could help performance better. Whether it makes a whole lot of difference just varies according to blank and expectation for a model, though for the peak 'ideal' that a custom rod builder can present for a had crafted rod, the location and use of spine is what I'de go for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster