I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrap questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 07:05PM

I'm doing my first wraps. When I finish the wrap and I tighten down on the wrap before cutting......the thread is riding up the blank under my wrap.

Is this an indication of my wrap not having enough tension...?

Am I tightening the wrap too much...?

Also,......I am using Fuji Alconite's, spiral wrap on 7' St Croix. CLAG 12-6. I'm finding it very difficult attaching the #6 guides to the blank for wraping. The feet are so short that masking tape is almost out of the question.
What are you experienced builders using to perform this task...?

I would like to use some sort of rubber band....something that would stretch easily and roll down the blank easily. I cant think of a source for this.......any ideas here....?

Thanks for your help. pb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrap questions
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 07:41PM

Not sure what you mean on the first question. If you mean that the area where you are tying off is sliding under the main wrap, then yes, you aren't wrapping with enough tension.

I am a long time tape user who has recently switched to surgical tubing, cut into thin bands. Some guys use dental braces rubber bands that you can find in pharmacys. But on the small diameter blanks I usually build, they are too big to use on little guides the closer I get to the tip. I go back to tape on these, slicing a thin strip no wider than half the length of the guide foot. Wrap till you reach tape, then carefully remove the tape and keep wrapping.

Another option is to use guide foot adhesive or tip top glue. A lot of guys use this on all of their guides and swear by it. I haven't gotten the knack of doing it but I'm still attempting it now and then

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:24PM

Go to any hobby/model shop and pick up some fuel line tubing (it comes in various diameters and is cheap enough to get several diameters) A few minutes with a razor blade and cutting board and you have a years supply of thin "rubber bands. Just slide some onto the blank before attaching the tip and once the thread holds the guide in place, a nick with a razor and they fly off.

Mike

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:25PM

Go to your neiborhood hobby shop or Lowe's / Home Depot sometimes carry it and get the rubber fuel line hose that they use for fuel lines in RCV's. At Lowe's or Home Depot it will be in plumbing with the other hose they sell by the foot. Cut it up in about 1/8" sections, works great. It comes in different sizes. get a foot or 2 of each will last a long time.

Mike, you and I were typing at the same time. LOL

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 08:26PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Owen McLean (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:46PM

I use elastic thread (three or four turns and then tie it off) which I get at the local fabric store.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:48PM

I use masking tape for size 6 fly guides with no problem. The newer blue tape is better than the old white kind. As Mick said above, cut a thin strip of tape no more than half the width of the foot, about an inch and a half long. Fold both ends of the tape over to make "handles" at each end. Now, put the tape on the guide foot BEFORE you put the guide on the blank. Hold the tape, not the guide, by those handles and bring the guide onto the blank where you want it, then press down and pull/squeeze the tape. Do not wrap the tape completely around the blank, leave the ends free. After the wrap is well started, it will be easy to remove the tape by the handles.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:59AM

Don't use tip top adhesive to mount the guides. Tip top adhesive and guide foot adhesive are not the same thing.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 08:33AM

I just use a short length of rubber band and 2 wraps around the rod and tie it and slide the guide foot under and you are ready to wrap. Comes in all sizes :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster