I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I could use some advice folks...
Posted by: Jeff Bullard (167.7.90.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:26PM

Hello folks,

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Rod Building show, where I bought some of the blanks that Andy had in his trashcan. I picked up (2) SW1208's and (2) SW1209's. I think Andy told be that they were Allstar blanks or something like that.
They are 10ft long and I want to build one conventional and one as a spinner. I've got a Abu 6500 conv and by brother is going to use an Okuma EB50 spinning reel.
Has anyone built these blanks before who might be able to give me a recommendation on guide sizes, and how many of each for these rods?
I'm going to try to get these things together before we hit the OBX last week of April.

Thanks for any help I might get.

Jeff

PS: In case it hasn't been made crystal clear by now... The show was way cool! Everyone was great, nobody looked like I thought they would, I had the almost Irresistible urge to pull Billy's chin hair. The folks that I met were as real as they come. Can't wait til next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I could use some advice folks...
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:37PM

conventional - NSG type guides - 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10Tip.

spinning - SVG type guides - 40, 30, 20, 16, 12, 12Tip.

Posted by: Jeff Bullard (167.7.90.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:44PM

Wow... That's service!
Thanks Clyde That's just what I was looking for.

- Jeff

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 06:19PM

Those as well as the RAINSHADOW 1264's are my all time favorite surf rod blanks . I looked at my records and
the only difference is I use one more 16 on the spinner.

Posted by: Jeff Bullard (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 10:23PM

Thanks Ken, and thanks for signing my door prize that Sat night. You must have felt like a rock star autographing for your fans! The DVD on basic rod building is very good. I let my brother borrow it in hopes that he might build his own rod. He doesn't have a 6yo and a 3yo to get in his way. :)
I'll let ya'll know how the rods turn out.

- Jeff

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 07:16PM

Jeff -
It was flattering and a little embarassing - I've never actually had anyone ask for my autograph. In fact most people don't want to see
my autograph because it means they've done something bad and are about to find out about the US Justice system....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster