I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing Rod Bond
Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:08PM

Just got my first jar of Rod Bond. My question is what is the prefered way of measuring it. I have used most brands of 5-30 minute epoxy. Have had good results with just squeezing an equal amount onto a mixing surface. This is not really possible with Rod Bond. Is a glob of each by eyeball good enough for this product? How forgiving is the "50/50" mix?
Thanks,
Henry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing Rod Bond
Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:23PM

Just eyeball it, the proportions don't have to be exact like the epoxy for guide wraps. I use disposable craft sticks (skinny tongue depressors) and scoop it out. This is one of the beauties of this fine product. You can also take your time as it takes 30 minutes to start setting.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:32PM

I have been using Stainless Steel mixing spoons to measure it out. Scoop out a glob and scrape the peak off back into the container. Repeat with the other container. It has worked very well for me for the past 3 rods that I built. It also lets yopu vary how much to mix. Sometimes a tsp of each is enough, other times I used a tbs of each.

Tony

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:56PM

I use the "popsicle" craft stick also. Ralph O'Quinn (the formulater of Rod Bond) explained in Charllotte that the best way to mix it is to use the stick to "fold" the mixture rather than stir it for a proper blend. He also suggested to "eyeball" it!! Great stuff.

Mike

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:33PM

I can't help but give praise to U40 products . I use many different kinds of glues and epoxies on the job and in my hobbies . Nothing beats Rod Bond for foam grips and most reel seat applications . Easy to mix with a popsicle stick and thick enough to stay put where you put it and dose not cure as hard and brittle as many other epoxies . Makes rod building much easier .

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:38PM

I've come to start liking the product....I use 2 sticks, to avoid any possibility of cross-contaminiation by intoducing a into b, or vise versa. I tried using the other end of the same stick, but that was inconvenient. I've also taken to mixing it on a smooth, hard, flat surface, much like Bob Ross mixes his oil paints on the joy of painting show, with one of the sticks, tossing the other out. I use a piece of one inch thick plate glass...the lid from a knick-knack box. Works for me.... your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 12:27AM

I mix mine on the lids from food cans. Beats just tossing them out. After I've used both sides I toss them in the recycle bin. Cheap and no
clean up time at all. Definitely use TWO popscile sticks. If you don't either you'll wind up with the stuff all over your hands or you will run the risk of cross-contaminating the containers.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 10:46AM

Eyeballing it is all you need. There's no reason to mess up any other type of measuring device just to have to clean it up. I also use two popsickle sticks for dipping & just pile up equal 'looking' blobs on my mixing surface. I normally mix on cut up shipping boxes...lord knows I have plenty of those lying around.

Jay

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:26AM

I use two sticks, also, except my "sticks" are recycled plastic knives from breakfast at McDonald's. I am very careful to cleanse the pancake syrup off before using.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:15PM

Clyde, quit licking those knives; you'll drool in your Rod Bond!
Holy contamination, Batman...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster