I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:44PM

Size D. Can I use this for the guides? Single wrap... Strong enough?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread
Date: March 16, 2005 05:51PM

One more thing Gents, is CP necessary for metallic?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:21PM

Hi Fred,

Size "D" threat is the strongest thread we use. Most use "A". No need for CP with metallic as it does not get absorbed into the thread. The only time I use CP on metallic is to lock the thread in when doing an over wrap. I don't know what type of rod you are building but in most cases "D" thread will be strong enough.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:35PM

I use "A" metallic thread on over 90% of all my rods. I will say that I don't do big salt rods, though. Musky rods are the biggest I do and A works fine.

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:41PM

I recently switched to A after years of using D metallics. Dog gone camera is too unforgiving! Most (non-rod builders) peoples' eyes don't see the difference, though.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:25PM

The only reason to not use metallic at any size is that it's ugly!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:59PM

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" Kind of rough on us "artistically challenged" guys aren't you, Jeff

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:26PM

If you don't think it's appealing to you, don't use it on your rods. If others like it, use it on their rods. Given the choice on a guide wrap, I wouldn't go with anything but a metallic on my own rods. In my eyes, it's WAY nicer than the regular threads; but that is my eyes. None of the threads are "ugly".

Comments like that can be easily taken as combative; it's hard not to lash back right now...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: March 16, 2005 08:36PM

I'm in love with metallics! I've been away from rod building for a long time. Currently building 6 rods. Metallic thread and Rod Bond was'nt on the scene back where I left off. My only concern with metallic is its long term durability and performance vs regular nylon.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:01PM

All my rods are wraped with metallic A thread . The only non metallic thread I use is black . The re- wraps on rods I rebuild and repair are done with metallics .
So far there have been no complaints . Most say that the rods look much better than they did when new .

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 12:33AM

I like metallics for underwraps and regular thread for the guide wraps / no CP. The metallic "glitters" through the overwrap. I also like metallics as trim bands. I've also used metallics (pewter on gold under or pewter with gold trim bands) on several rods. I think they look just fine although I'm not too fond of the brighter color metallics (reds and bright greens) for more than trim bands but the dark blue is nice.

Posted by: Owen McLean (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:43AM

Not only is "beauty in the eye of the beholder" but "necessity is the mother of invention." Being a small stream native brook trout fisherman, I would never dream of putting a glittery wrap on one of my rods. What is interesting is that over the years when I have ordered blanks and, at the same time, my "artistically challenged" thread selection, on four seperate occasions the supplier has thrown in a spool of metallic gold. Now that I am branching out into surf rods, I might have a use for it.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 01:16PM

I build only fly rods and the fishing I do is strictly fly fishing, mostly on small streams. When I decided that I could stand the color of the wraps I had put on my first rod, I went to a shop in Minneapolis that sold lots of od building materials. The thread that caught my eye was Gudebord Bronze Metallic. I re-wrapped the dark brown rod with this stuff and it's absolutely beautiful. I recently built a Pac Bay Tradition and used Rice Burgundy Metallic for the guide wraps. I'll be building another of these and I'll use the same thread again along with Amtak Holographic guides. It will most likely also have metallic trim bands on each wrap.

I've fly fished for more than 40 years and long ago quit buying a lot of this stuff about "stealth" rods and dull threads. In my experience, it makes no difference, even on spring creeks. I'm still casting to fish that are at least 20' away and I will never be convinced that the fish can see the wraps on my rod. If I can catch fish on the Railroad Ranch section of the Henry's Fork with metallic guide wraps on my rod, I don't see what the problem is.

It's only my opinion, but there it is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster