I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the spine and where to place the guides on fly rod?
Posted by: espen rydgren (---.adsl.tele2.no)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:26PM

i have read many of books, and i am wery confused about where to put my guides. some say put them on the spine, other say 180 degrees.then some other smart aleck told me to put them 90 dg of the spine. on the first rod i build (who we do not speak of. so i call myself a first time rodbuilder) . i placed them directly on the spine. then i was told that the rod probanly will snap at the top, because the top will twist when i use it.
somebody show me the light and take me out of the woods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 05:10PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the spine and where to place the guides on fly rod?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 03:05PM

When you find the spine, the guides go pn the outside of the curve. Thats how I set up my guides for spinning rods and would be the same for fly rods.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:02PM

The large companies like Sage, Winston, etc don't worry about it. I used to worry about it, even build a spine finder. Now I build on the straightest axis, since every person you might sell a rod to will pick up the rod and sight down the length of it. The spine isn't visible, but the natural curve that most rod blanks have can be. I but the guides on the outside of any natural curve. If you put them on the inside, it will generally make the curve more pronounced.

The person who told you that the rod would break because you put the guides on the spine knows very little, if anything, about building rods. The tip will not twist during casting whether the guides are on or off the spine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:12PM

There is no right nor wrong place to orient the spine on any rod. Read the FAQs page here for more information. Rod twist, or stability, has nothing to do with spine position and everything to do with guide location. You're dealing with myths and poor information. Again, consult the FAQs page here and put your mind at ease.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 12:49PM

Since the rod moves in two directions, the guides are on the "wrong" side 50 % of the time. I am building a rod with the guides on the weak side for the top half, and on the strong side for the lower half.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:18PM

Your rod will not break because of where you located the guides in relation to the spine.

I put my guides on the inside of the curve when the rod was bent in its relaxed position for many rods. They all work fine. Now I tend to put the guides on the outside of that same curve. rods still work fine. You can make minor improvements or adjustments to a fly rod by using the spine location. You can't really ruin one by ignoring the spine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster