I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly grip reel seat pockets
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:17AM

I recently finished a cork cigar grip and was forced to use an uplocking reel seat that of course required a pocket in the cork. I thought about using a spade bit to make the pocket, but decided that I might easily ruin the grip. I cut the pocket using my Dremel. It worked but it really time consuming. What's the best way to put round pockets in the grips? Should I bore out a ring before I glue up the grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly grip reel seat pockets
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:00PM

If you can find spiral cutting bits for your dremel grab yourself some of these. They are exactly the same as end mills used in machine shops, the look like flat drill bits. You can use these to rough out most of the material and then come in with a sanding or burr bit.

Mark

Posted by: Steven Wilson (---.eds.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 03:07PM

I drilled out the cork prior to gluing up the grip. Since the hole is quite large in relation to the size of the cork I first drilled out a hole in wood to fit the cork (1 1/8" in my case). I then placed the cork ring into the wood and then drilled out the hole for the hood. Now, to affix the ring to the rest of the grip I went to my lathe and turned a spacer that would fit inside the ring. The center hole in the wood space was drilled to fit that mandrel that I build the grip on. To keep the spacer from being glued in I covered the spacer with masking tape and rubbed candle wax on it. This setup allowed me to turn the cork grip on the lathe with full support - very handy.

Date: March 16, 2005 03:52PM

Steve,
Thanks, that's a great idea. Using the dremel was a total pain, it just took too long. I don't mind spending some time up front to make something reusable that will save me time later.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.107.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:05PM

"It worked but it really time consuming."

and so you see how i find beauty in downlocking cap and ring reel seats for smallstream trout fly rods... ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 16, 2005 05:16PM

I will use a slide band reel seat any chance I get, but the rod I just built was for a beginner and a beginner shouldn't have to think about paying attention to his reel seat. I would gladly use cap and ring seats if someone besides Struble, REC and Bellinger made them. Putting a $40-$80 reel seat on a $20 blank doesn't compute for me. They should be a lot less expensive that any threaded reel seat, but they're not and part of the problem is probably that they have generally fallen out of favor so not many are actually produced, making the cost per unit higher.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.198.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:51PM

gerry

i hear ya about expensive seats on very inexpensive blanks.. i've been using forecast blanks lately... a $50 bellinger on a forecast? if i had money to throw around, i'd be using nice dan craft blanks all the time! i posed a question recently about supply of inexpensive downlocking cap and ring reel seats. REC carries one for $28 in aluminum. struble makes their teak version in black aluminum for $20. and landmark has nice looking simple ones for under $15, choice of black or clear aluminum, with either rosewood or maple inserts. cortland has some for a nice price, including cork insert seats, both up and downlocking.

and the downlocking style has been nice. i thought i preferred the look of uplocking threaded seats, but once i tried one, closing my eyes and trying to put preconceptions of what LOOKS nice, i'm sold for my small stream under 5 weight fly rods. nice balance for my setups.

also, since i really just started fly rod assembly this winter, and have yet to actually hit the water with a cap and ring (or ANY of the rods i've been tinkering with, practicing, practicing...), i have been impressed with the lightweight, nice streamlined look and seemingly sure hold a landmark seat is showing. actually, i was so impressed, i'm using one for a friend who's also a beginning fly person. of course, i've just been waving the rod and reel around in the front yard to strange stares from the neighbors at odd hours of the night, not actually on the water in action yet, but it has yet to loosen on me.

eric
fresno, ca.
(who's just realized i've been replying to a lot of posts lately even though i'm a newbie. i think it's time for a hiatus from replying here. back to lurk mode ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:52PM

I'll second the landmark suggestion. I went up to Ron's shop in Loveland, CO last week and picked up a couple of the black anodized down sliding seats. I put one on my forecast 6'6" 2 weight blank and its perfect. $10 for the seat. I would have made my own, but I wanted black. The blank is dark blue and I used black guides, black thread and the black seat makes for a nice "matching" look.

On a side note Gerry, if you are interested in some nice, but not too expensive cap and ring hardware in a few weeks I will be building some sets of Titanium (machined from solid titanium bar, not coated) cap and ring seats. I will still have to do some math the figure out the final pricing but they will probably be around $25-30. Right now I'm finishing up some solid titanium saltwater seats for the fly shop here in Boulder. I'll post more as the time comes.

Mark

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 10:03AM

i use a forstner bit in a slow rpm drill press-you can usually find one inthe same size as the pocket if it's a machined round hood, or if it has an offset for a stamped one,all you have to dremel is the "bump"-cuts very smooth and has advantage of a flat bottom to the cut.Try lee valley tools if you don't have a local source.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2005 10:29AM

RodBlanks.com makes a special tool just for cutting that inlet in a grip. It's self centering into the grip bore. Nice tool.

Date: March 17, 2005 11:40AM

Is Rodblanks.com still in business? When I try to go to the site, I get an error that the servor can't be found.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster